DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax ND

> However, it should be noted that both the Kodak and the Canon are CMOS > sensors. > > The Contax ND is still the only full frame CCD.

Why do you believe that is an "advantage" or something of note? It in fact may be a detriment. CCDs draw much more power than CMOS, and from what I understand, the camera has power issues.

Austin

I was at the Kodak 14n intro in Vancouver, Canada. It may be interesting to share that when I asked the product manager how he would compare the CMOS chip versus the CCD chip in their 645 probacks (since they are about the same size). His answner is that the CCD chip is a "matured" technology, and the CMOS is an "emerging" technology. I would gether from his statement that CCD technology is more developed and would give better result than the CMOS chip, otherwise they would have adopted the new chip to their proback lines.

Austin, I wasn't making a value judgement between CMOS and CCD, just pointing out that they are not the same. CMOS is less power hungry, however the power issues with the ND aren't due to the fact it uses a CCD, it is the power source itself that is at issue.

While Canon has apparently dealt with the inherent noise problems of CMOS, it came at a $8,000. price tag. Whether Kodak has successfully done it cheaper remains to be seen.

As stated, the CCD is a well developed capture, so that is also not the issue with the ND, it is the post software that is at issue.

In the end, it is the image we are after not a bunch of technological knowledge. The NDs issues have to do with getting the image in the first place, and doing something with it afterwards. The capture device is not in question. That was proven in Medium Format back for years already.

It also remains to be seen if the new full frame sensors combined with a traditional (small) 35mm diameter mount do fine at the edges of the frame.

First rumors say they do in a horrible way not!
This might be the reason why we usually have smaller sensors which only use the inner part of the picture, and perhaps why Contax invented the "monster"-N mount.
AFAIK Contax N is the only SLR-mount especially designed with the digital world in mind.

Perhaps this is also the reason why we see no digital bodies for C/Y and G-mount up to day?

Till

Canon also has a relatively large mount, which is why so many adapters are available for the EOS cameras. Nikon, it is rumoured, is having difficulty with a full frame sensor, and is allegedly concentrating on wider lenses while offering smaller sensors. I will be very curious to see the Kodak solution, since it utilizes a Nikon mount. The newer images on the Kodak site look pretty decent. So, I guess it can be done.

On the other hand, I haven't noticed any specific image deterioration at the edges of the ND photos.

> Austin, I wasn't making a value judgement between CMOS and CCD, just > pointing out that they are not the same. CMOS is less power hungry, > however the power issues with the ND aren't due to the fact it uses a > CCD, it is the power source itself that is at issue.

How do you know? I guarantee you, that if they used a CMOS sensor, the camera would use less power (and run cooler), and therefore last longer on a battery charge.

Austin

Dear Contaxinfo.com members,

I am currently trying to get meetings with the assistant General Manager of Contax Europe, Mr. Hosomi, and try to contact at the same time also Contax in Japan directly. I will certainly raise the adobe issue among others in these meetings. As you know me, I do not give up that easily.

Mr. Hosomi is on travel for the next week or so and I hope that I can schedule a meeting soon afterwards.

It would help me, if you could send me a quick e-mail with one line of your interest for this Adobe/Contax cooperation. It is always better to have feedback in my hands while talking with them.

Since this is the biggest Contax Community on the net, I would be surprised if they would ignore that.

Please e-mail to: emailhidden@contaxinfo.com

Do not wonder if you get an automatic annswer, this is normal.

Dirk

Would somebody again please point me toward the firmware download for the ND??? I just can't seem to find it at the contaxcameras.com site.

Thanks,

michael. >

Well fellow Contax ND lovers, I've switched horses in midstream.

Today, I take delivery of a Canon EOS 1Ds and 2 zoom lenses (24-70/2.8 L & 70-200/2.8 IS L).

I AM NOT SELLING MY ND OR ANY LENSES.
However, I will be selling my N-1 and 24-85 zoom.

Sunday, I will be doing a controlled, in studio comparison. I suspect the ND will fare well in the image area.

I had hoped the ND could be my primary wedding DSLR, but it's short comings in power, AF speed, off camera flash sophistication, and post processing made a
move to either the Canon fullframe or Kodak fullframe a business necessity. I chose the Canon for Pro level durability and AF speed ( being the fastest out there right now). The camera is also pretty much weather proof.

I shall share my imaging findings with you as soon as I test the cameras side-by-side. Since most of you don't rely on your cameras to make a living, a good imaging comparison on the part of the ND will certainly be all you need to hear. I have confidence you will get a favorable report back from me.

I've invited Irakly to my studio to assist in the comparison. Stay tuned.

Back