DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Do I Need A TLA 200 Flash

G

Does anyone have an opinion on whether there's a good reason to acquire (and then lug around) the TLA 200 flash to go with a Contax G2?

My bag already contains a Canon G2 digital camera and a compatible Canon 420EX flash. I know all of the 420EX's capabilities couldn't be accessed if used on the Contax G2, but wouldn't it operate essentially the same as the TLA 200 (except for it's tilting and swiveling capability)? Power is another factor. The TLA 200 has a Guide Number of 20, while the 420EX has a Guide Number of about 110 with a 45mm lens.

Anyone have an opinion?

> What about the TLA 20 for less than $50US I would think. Not much larger than a fancy 200.

Is the Contax G2 able to TTL-control the 420EX? Or do you have to use the 420EX as a non-TTL computer flash, or even fully manual (guide number calculation)?

TLA 200 can be TTL-controlled by all prevailing Contax bodies, and it is really small and light. No other advantages. It is red-eye prone and the list price is a joke, as like all Contax flashes.

Hy Paul,
I´ve got a Canon G1 with the 420EX and a Contax G2, so I tried it :).
The Camera does not detect the flash as it does a TLA 30. The 420EX e-ttl led is lit and it switches to 35 mm.
I think you should have a look at the Metz SCA382 adapter for the Contax and a SCA3102M2 for the Canon with a Metz Flash mecablitz 40 MZ-3i. A friend of mine is using said mecablitz on a Nikon F80 and D100 and a Nikon D1 with good results. It does not work an a Canon D30 but on an EOS-3.

Regards

Volker

Volker,

Thanks. That what was I was worried about. The 420EX is arguably a better flash than the TLA 200, but I was concerned whether it was usable on the G2 at all. Being an electronic or digital TTL, I guess the camera doesn't even know it's mounted. Too bad for me.

Is the G2+TLA200 couple able to manage the 2nd-curtain-synchro ?

This eventuality is only slightly mentioned in the G2 manual, but not in the TLA200 manual ...

Perharps have I to purchase a 'stronger' flash, like the TLA280, to obtain this functionality ?

Thanks for your replies ...

> [I have shot a few frames with the G2 dedicated tla200 flash and frankly it is a waste of time. Impossible to control properly etc. Much better results using long exposures and aloowing for blur and movement to enter your composition. Who says every frame has to be frozen solid? fluid movement in images can be very beautiful.Just don;t use the g2 for grip and grins and regular press work thats all.]

The TLA 200 does not have second curtain. The 280, 360 and 420 do have second curtain. The 280, 360 and 420 also have bounce and the 360 and 480 also have swivel. The 420 is the pro model, quite large and about $800. The 360 is about $$400 and the 280 is about $200. 200 guide at 100 ISO is about 18 m, the 280 about 25 m and the 360 about 36 m. Prices are from eBay and NY camera places.
Harbert

I have the G1 and thinking about buying the TLA200. I don't do much flash photography, just need a flash unit for the occasionally indoor people shots. I just want to use the auto flash function on the TLA200 with the G1 and just P & S without worry about exposure and GN's and manually setting apertures. So do you guys think the TLA 200 is sufficient for my needs? I can buy it for US$160.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Back