DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Do I Need A TLA 200 Flash

John,

I think that flash is the weakest point at Contax: Pricey but outdated.

Nevertheless, I have both of the G-dedicated TLA 140 and 200. I use them for fill-in mostly, which is not as easy as it should be (and not as the manual lies it would be. [nice rhyme])

Pros and Cons

TLA 140
+ ultra small
+ no red eye problem
- uses different batteries than G1/G2
- GN 14 only

TLA 200
+ GN 20
+ zoom head for 28,35,45 or 90mm (stronger for everything >28 compared to non-zoom head)
+ uses the same batteries as G1/G2 so you can exchange spare ones
- not as handy as a TLA 140 (which you can carry in a jacket)
- red eye prone

Bottom line is, if you want to do extensive flash work, go for a Metz. If you want to travel light and do incidental fill-in, try TLA 140.

Till

PS: There is a foolish work-around for the red-eye problem of TLA 200: slice a transparent Fuji-film cover and snap it over the flash.

Till,
Thanks,I have just borrowed a small Panansonic PE-20s flash (US$65)from a colleage, and will try it out soon when I have the time. It was bought in Japan, not seen this model anywhere on the web/stores. It is the same size as the TLA140. To use the auto setting of the flash, do I need to set the shuttle dial on the camera to position X, and then just set the aperture according to the flash instruction?

> I use the TLA 200 on my G2 for indors P&S pictures and I get good results the easy way... For better results I use a Metz 54 MZ3: also very easy to use and and cheaper on battery use! Frank Lindeman

John,

you will have to use your Panasonic flash in auto / computer mode = since your Contax G can only fire it, but not stop it. You will also = have to set X-sync manually (or anything below).

For fill-in purposes, this must not to be a disadvantage at all. The = Contax G1/G2 lack separate flash exposure compensation, so TTL-flash is = only perfect for full flash lighting.

Till,
Just read the G1 manual, yes, I do need to set the camera shutter to X, and use the auto setting on the flash unit. Will give it a try soon.

What Metz flashes are compatible with the G1, and what is the advantage (if any) over the TLA200?

Michael,

go to
http:\www.metz.de

All units are bulkier but also stronger than TLA 200. Some add swivel head, second curtain sync, coverage from 20mm or even a secondary reflector.
Most are available for SCA 382 adapter which links into the G1/G2 as good (or bad) as the original TLAs.

I think that the Metz' are more reasonable priced than their Contax pendants.

As for me, I will soon try out 800 or 1600 ASA film instead of flash.

All,
I have a general question about Contax flashes and hope that one of you can help. Will the Contax PS-120 Power Pack for the TLA-480 also work on the TLA-360 Flash? I know that the manual states that the PS-220 works but wondered if any of you had tried the PS-120 on the TLA-360. Its hard to find a Contax site that gives this kind of information on all accessories. Thanks.
Harbert

Harbert,

I think this is impossible due to different voltages (12V / 9V).
AFAIK the plugs are different as well.

Back