DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Is a new ND around the corner

> Ok, Great, if you have to shoot in A mode then how do you handle fill flash???

Thanks,

Michael.

Michael,
for fill flash I set the camera on Manual.... take a meter reading (use shutter speeds for manageable f-stops) of scene (backlight) and set the power or aperture control of flash (leave on auto for distance to subject changes) to equal f-stop reading for harsh shadows or reduce flash down one, two or three stops from meter reading for effect desired.

I initially had some difficulties with fill flash with my N1 and the TLA 360 flash.

I installed a Stoffen diffuser (Thanks Albert), usually set the flash exposure to -1.5 to -1.75, and shoot fully automatic/TTL. I have been really happy with the results.

> Bert,

Unless I am totally crazy ... (which my wife thinks I am ...) when you are in Auto Mode, you can't dial the flash down. Hitting the SEL button on the 360 does not take you to the dial down flash area. You can only dial down if you are in TTL mode. What am I missing here??

Thanks

Michael.

> Bert,

I don't think that you can dial down the flash if you are in Auto Mode. You can only get to the Dial down menu (w/ the SEL button) if you are in TTL mode.

What am I missing here???

Thanks,

Michael.

Michael,
For your flash to give out less light........ you move it to a larger f-stop opening....... my 360 moves from f8 to f1.4 in auto mode at iso 64

> Bert,

I still don't think that that will do it for fill flash. First you take your ambient ligh reading ... and then if you open up the f-stop in A mode on the 360, you screw up the correct reading for the Ambient reading!!! I just don't think that there is a way around fill flash except for a manual setting on the flash (painful!) or TTL. But TTL has to work and it works poorly on Contax equipment.

Michael.

Michael, I am not sure how to adjust TLA360 in A mode because I have never used one. It works like a charm with Metz 54MZ3 where you just dial in required compensation.
Speaking of your claim that TTL flash works poorly with Contax equipment, I would not entirely agree. It is true for Contax ND, but Contax 645 with Kodak back works marvelously with the flash in TTL mode.

> Irakly,

Thanks. I think you have confirmed my test. EC on the TLA-360 flash simply does not work in TTL mode. I just shot 6 shots of my wife, dialing down from full TTL to -3 and there was not one bit of difference in any of the shots (all overexposed). Even w/ the diffuser, the TLA-360 flash seems to simply throw more light out to compensate for the diffuser.

I also tried with the Metz 54MZ3. My test was with the EC on the flash and I had the same results. Are you saying try the other EC on the Metz that just dials down the overall exposure???

And do you feel confident that the EC on the TLA-360 would work with the N1 as it does with the 645?

Thank You!

Michael.

Michael, I have never used TLA360, so I cannot feel confident about it. Metz, on the other hand, does have on-camera compensation that is independend of camera controls. Moreovel, it even has pre-flash.

Back