DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

!!! SIGMA SD1 - 46Mpx !!!

Sigma must improve over all built quality of its cameras

It is not only the sensor and image quality that dictates the overall quality of a camera, particularly when all manufacturers are and will target new customers (naturally, mostly armatures). They have to deliver a overall package: easy of use, weather-seal body (and lenses, if possible), versatile ISO, quality of compatible lens etc.
I had SD-14. After using that for couple of years I moved to Canon 7D. There is no comparison in built quality and many other features between SD-14 and 7D. IQ is not that great for Foveon sensor as compared to mono-layer Bayer sensors, particularly in high resolution 7D. The other benefit I have with 7D is the accompanying software (that came with the camera) to process and edit RAW image in my computer, which was not present with Sigma software supplied with SD14. Many other accompanying software (with 7D) are also of great use and user friendly.
In my opinion, if SD1 is more than about $1200, then its market will be more restricted. Only few dedicated fans (professionals) will be tempted to buy that.
I fully support Sigma to develop a better and alternative sensor technology, to put pressure on other camera manufacturers to improve quality of their products; at the same time give customers more, affordable options to choose from.
I personally will consider going back to Sigma if I am satisfied with their over all built quality of their cameras, rather than for Foveon sensor alone.

I just noticed that Pentax also has lunched K5 with improved features (with expected price range $ 1599 with kit lens, as per Amazon).

I wonder, will the Sigma DC series of lenses cause vignetting in the SD1? Exciting announcement in any event!

Jesse

I would not think it would be an issue...the same lenses I have for my SD14 SA mount and Sony a700 which is a 1.5 crop...are the same size rear element...plus a lot of the SA mount lenses are actually for the old 35mm film camera's....or at least the ones I have...:z04_photos:...I would expect the same proformance out of the lenses like a Nikon DX or Sony DT...camera system...

But only time will tell....:crazy:

I am excited....I have something to compete with my Sony a900....now if Zeiss would make a ZF mount 135mm f1.8....I would be in heaven...!!!!

Tony C. :z04_cowboy:

Attachments

• SD1summi.jpg
    EXIF
    SD1summi.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 17
Luis...if the camera comes out next year...you better believe I am buying your Nikon-F and Leica-R adapters...for it...:z04_photos:

I love my SD14's....with the Nikon-F and Leica...

Thanks Tony . And you will get your 20% Courtesy Discount for Returning Customers.

Price is on the Sigma site - $1500 msrp...

Hi

could you post a link to that pricetag? I do not find it on the Sigma site.

Thanks

I wonder, will the Sigma DC series of lenses cause vignetting in the SD1? Exciting announcement in any event!

Jesse

It is the same like with Sigma Lenses for Nikon, Canon, Pentax and Sony mount. They all have a crop factor of 1.5 (Canon 1.6). So vignetting is no issue. At least not more then with any other 1.5 crop camera out there ;)

Best wishes

Well Kevin, it really depends on how are you used to shot. I'm more like a film shooter so I usually don't look at images right after they were shot so i rarely use the color LCD. I also look through the viewfinder mainly for composing the pictures, so i like to check the settings on the secondary b/w LCD.
About the image quality, I don't think there will be a problem with it, but certainly we will have to use better (sharper) lenses. Vignetting - no way since the SA lenses are practically the same with Nikon F (just the mounts are different) so the crop factor is the same.
About the price, I hope it will be cheap, but still, it has something hasselbladish in it's output so...

Qs: What's the button near the shutter release one? Looks misplaced :D What kit lens do you think it'll have?

Back