DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Grand Canyon, what equipment to take?

TTureman

Hi Guys,

I will be leaving next week for the Grand Canyon and I will be taking my wonderful 501c with me. I have the 80mm and the 50mm as well as a 150. I am trying to figure out what is best to take without too much of a travel burden. I have a think tank airport bag. I know this is sketchy but what would you recommend? Are there some special vistas that you would recommend. I am new in MF but I must admit it is amazing.
Tom

Two film backs, 50 mm wide angle, 80 mm standard, UV and polariser, a tripod and lots of film of course.

Have a great time and post some great pics here when you get back. Did I mention I am green with envy?

Hi Guys,

I will be leaving next week for the Grand Canyon and I will be taking my wonderful 501c with me. I have the 80mm and the 50mm as well as a 150. I am trying to figure out what is best to take without too much of a travel burden. I have a think tank airport bag. I know this is sketchy but what would you recommend? Are there some special vistas that you would recommend. I am new in MF but I must admit it is amazing.
Tom

I've been to multiple NP in the US, with the Blad. Whatever you take: at least bring the 50mm. 2nd the 80mm. The 150mm I'd leave at home. Assuming you have one: bring an A16 back in addition to the A12 that I presume you will bring anyway. As for filters: pola. You can leave the rest at home. Bring one of these 'dustblower' thingies, I typically clean my gear every evening, the US Midwest is very dusty indeed, and a royal pest for your gear. A tripod & cable release can be very handy (dump it in checked luggage) for these absolutely gorgeous sunsets. And bring film. Lets say twice as many films as you assume you will need. I personally like Portra160NC and 400NC, yes, for landscapes too. The contrasts are very high indeed, and a lower contrast film like Portra works wonders. Slide film/chromes can be entertaining but are a pain to expose spot-on. Go for negative film if this is your first experience in the MidWest.

Oh... and I have to warn you: chances are that you will get seriously hooked on the landscape. No picture regardless how well made will do it justice... You Have Been Warned..

enjoy,
Wilko

Thanks

Thanks all for your suggestions. I will take all your recomendations to heart. I am really looking forward to this trip. Hopefully the sunsets will be special.

Tom

Back