DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Which is way to scan with a regular scanner

G

I already have a scanner, not the best in the world, but good enough for my needs, now, wich way you think is the bes one to scan a photo (not a negative)

> Rodrigo

Resolution is one of the main settings you may wish to look at- if you just want to "duplicate" the original size then 300 dpi is sufficient- more will just increase the size of the file without image improvement. If you want to enlarge the original photo that you scanned you have to go with a higher scanning resolution- for instance, if the original is 3"x5" and you would like to print it at double the size (6"x10"), then you need to scan it at 600 dpi. Unfortunately, there are some limitations when trying to enlarge a scanned photo as opposed to negatives or slides- it has a lesser dynamic range and resolution so this will eventually show up as you try increasing the magnification ratio. You can log in to www.hamrick.com where you will find some very interesting links to scanning procedures.

Regards

Andrei

Andrei, my scanner (agfa snapscan)is set default at 150 dpi and that represents the original size of the photo, but if i change that (to double size) the scans begin to "lose focus", also, i was told about an agfa software that corrects focus even at a 10%, do you know something about it ?

> Sorry, but I'm not an expert with Agfa scanners, at any rate, 150 dpi is not enough to duplicate a photo, let alone magnify it. It is sufficient if you want to post this on a web page or email but that's just about it.To my knowledge, Agfa has sort of lost interest in consumer scanners and the last models they sold were just labelled with their logo. If the photo(s) you want to digitize are just a one time deal, a photo lab could probably be a better choice- on the other hand, if you wish to have this sort of capability "in house", Epson offers a wide range of document scanners- before comiting though to a purchase, I would seriously consider whether you want to scan photos or negatives/slides- the latter is the way to go if you want to digitize and get a high quality output from your 35mm (or larger) films.

Regards

Andrei

Back