DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax G2 Lens hoods

tomasjpn

I'm wondering if anyone has used a shorter lens hood (the GG-2, for ex&le) on the 90/2.8 Sonnar. I own the standard 'long' hood, but frankly, I hate it because of the added length. It's nearly as big as my Planar 35/2! Does anyone know whether I'll have problems with light reflection from the side (or any other problem) using the GG-2 on the 90 Sonnar? I think one of the reasons it sits in my bag often unused is how obtrusive it seems with that monster hard-on of a lens hood! Cheers.

Mark Edwards

> I'm wondering if anyone has used a shorter lens hood (the GG-2, for ex&le) on the 90/2.8 Sonnar.

Look at this way, the GG-2 is far more effective than not using a hood at all which is what most people tend to do. Obviously it won't be as totally effective as the GG-3 but that's why it's available, not because of it's ergonomics or lack of. The main thing is that you aren't going to be protected against glare and reflections from sources close to the centre of the 90mm's view angle but you will reduce more oblique glare sources.

I use a GG-1 with the 35-70mm and it's fine, particularly since you gain the benefits of the pop-off lens cap too. I figure that I'm better off with something rather than nothing at all.

Graham

Back