DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Yashica FX3 FX2 FX1

Pavel, The Yashica FX3-2000 has a polycarbonate (plastic) top cover and bottom cover. Yashica, and many other manufacturers have gone beyond the Canon AE-1 which had a plastic cover but it was finished to look like chrome finish.

Tom C

Hello,

I have two Yashicas FX-3 super 2000, one of them has a bottom cover made of plastic and the other one - made of brass.

Sergei

Many thanks,
I though too it is *plastic only*, but more than one man told me that it has also metal cover. I did not hit with it (fortunatelly), so it is not so important that it is only polycarbonate.

But producer should arrange interchangeable screens or winder (other yashica cameras has it, why not Fx3???) I miss it.

Fx3 produces no more, they stopped with it? Now is FX7 (only metal version of FX3, nothing were changed?)
best regards Pavel

Just noticed this, which was of interest to me since HP's scanner division is here in San Diego:

==== Kodak moving from lagging film business to computer printers San Diego Union, 8/22/03

NEW YORK Eastman Kodak Co. said yesterday it would push aggressively into the commercial printer market, pitting itself against the likes of IBM and Hewlett Packard Co., as it moves further away from its shrinking consumer film business.

Kodak based in Rochester, N.Y., said it had hired a 30 year veteran of HP, James Langley, to run its new commercial printing unit, which also will compete against Xerox Corp. and Canon Inc.

"It puts us in the game," Kodak chief executive Daniel Carp said. He added that the company has been working for several years on developing the business, which includes machines that print such things as books, brochures and fliers.

"We are more convinced than ever of the opportunity in this area," Carp said, adding that Kodak also sees growth in digital imaging, health imaging and commercial imaging. Kodak is realigning its businesses for the second time in two years as new President Antonio Perez focuses more on digital technology and less on traditional consumer film.

Perez, who headed HP's San Diego operation, is trying to generate growth in new businesses as sales of consumer film drop and become a smaller part of Kodak's business. Kodak has struggled to remain profitable as consumers abandon traditional film for digital cameras and price competition increases with Japan's Fuji Photo Film Co.

Last month, Kodak reported a 60 percent drop in profit and said it would cut up to 9 percent of its work force, or 4,500 to 6,000 jobs.

Kodak has long been in the commercial printing business with its NexPress digital printing system joint venture and with its Kodak Polychrome Graphics, one analyst said. But the division has never been a unit with its own leader.

"This indicates that they are committed to it, that they see it as a growth opportunity and that they are putting the resources behind it, as opposed to just being in the business," said Ron Gilboa, director of printing and publishing consulting service Cap Ventures Inc. in Norwell, Mass.

Kodak shares gained 31 cents, or 1 percent, to close at $28.54 yesterday on the New York Stock Exchange. The stock fell sharply in June after the company halved its profit outlook for the most recent quarter, and is down almost 19 percent for the year.

Don Williams La Jolla, CA

I don't know whether the FX 3 Super 2000 is plastic or metal, but I do know that I love this little gem of a Camera. I bought another one of these last winter/spring after having given my first one to a lady friend. The fact that it takes Zeiss lenses, is compact and light weight make it a boone to photography.

I echo Vincent's comments..... it is a unsung hero of Yashica's (or Contax's) stable.

Metal or plastic is irrelevant

Oops...finger trouble

I echo Vincent's comments ..... the FX-3 Super 2000 is THE unsung hero of Yashica's (or Contax's) stable.

Metal or plastic is irrelevant (it’s both). It performs well, looks good in old age, it’s cheap and versatile!

Your image qualities will be much more dependant on the lens than the shoe-box that it is attach to. It might seem odd (perverse!) to put a mortgage-costing Zeiss 300 f2.8 on a budget camera but you will NOT see the difference in the final image.

It has full non-battery dependent operati... so makes it ideal for a back-up camera in a full syst... or as a prime body in it’s own right.

I use it as back-up for my AX and my partner’s 137MA in outdoor field activities and as the main camera for Astro work. Cold hands and zero light make me nervous to putting the AX on and off the telescope frequently during an observation session ... but what the hell ...if I drop the FX-3, I’d buy another S/H one for the cost of a meal in a restaurant rather than grab the calculator to see how long it would take me to pay off the cost of another AX.

A nice incidental touch is the mirror up first, if you set the mechanical self-timer... great for Astro and long lenses! Great (although fixed screen) viewfinder and easy to operate controls.

IT’S A BARGAIN...GRAB ONE NOW...WHILE STOCKS LAST!

Cheers, Bob.

Bob,

Speaking of 300/2.8, you appear to own the Tamron offering. Care to give us a brief technical report? Price for this beast - even new - are quite attractive.

Back