DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Japanesemade adapters any good

Hi Stan, I can attest to build quality though not to suitability with Canon as I need a 4/3 adapter. The two I am most confident in, (and which cost the most) were made by Kindai and Cameraquest and were both bought online. The Cameraquest one is very robust and after 18 months of regular use still offers a tight fit. I have only recently acquired the Kindai - but first impressions are very favourable.

I have just taken delivery of one branded Fotodiox - I'm reserving judgement as it is alarmingly similar to a very cheap ($17) one made in China which is not particularly satisfactory in use - the quality of machining is poor and I would not hang a heavy lens on it and pick up the camera. I'll report on the Fotodiox after some field trials.

On the basis of comment in this Forum and elsewhere, I'd tend to opt for Kindai first (superb quality) and then Cameraquest. Of course, there may well be some additional manufacturers that specialize in Canon adapters - can't help there. Cheers,

Graham

Thanks for the suggestion - I will probably start with Cameraquest, although I will check out Kindai. A member has a used Cameraquest that sounds great.

Stan

Check on e-bay for Contax to EOS adapters with data bus to active focus confirmation in the Canon viewfinder. I got 2 for Leica R to EOS and they work like a charm ... and I thought I saw ones for C/Y to EOS also. Closest thing to AF you are going to get with your C/Y glass.

Frankly, I would not have sold my C/Y glass had these been available then.

Marc & John,

Just got back from New Mexico and boy do I have a lot of spotting to do ... let the (spot) healing begin!

It's great these AF adapters are now available - thanks for the news. However the Roxsen adapters look exactly like the AF version of a Chinese mount I bought 2 of, and I did not like them as they do not lock onto the body. They do work but it is possible to turn the lens around the mount with a bit of pressure.

Marc, which Leica R version AF adapter did you get? Thanks!

If you mount them on a 1DsMKII, there is a trick to doing it or it won't work. Takes 10 seconds to trick the 1D series cameras. It works as is on the 5D, although I'm speaking of the Leica R to EOS. The Leica R ones lock on the body, and have a separate "red dot" release on them, so you can swap lenses at will using the same adapter.

DJ, the ones I have are from the only guy that I know of that has these:

yqz1212@vip.sina.com

Just to be clear, these are not AF enabling adapters for C/Y lenses on a Canon EOS body, but instead allow focus confirmation like the RX has. If you use a Nikon camera, I think the AF confirmation already works.

I just reviewed the mount and the reason for it not locking to the body is that the locking catch hole is too small. I imagine you could drill it wider in a drill press. But I just discovered another problem with the Roxsen at least in my case with the 1DsII. You need to wedge closed a small switch in the lens mount with a piece of paper or something for the AF to work. Ugh!

I did discover another version which looks quite similar but modified so you don't need the wedge, from Happypagehk:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AF-Confirm-Contax-Adapter-on-Canon-EOS-camera-AUCTION_W0QQitemZ280056020139QQihZ018QQcategoryZ4687QQ rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I actually just bought (Buy It Now) one of their Leica R versions which I need as I screwed up one of my Leica Fotodiox adapters in New Mexico, so I'll let you know how that one shakes out.

Marc, I missed your post while I was transacting
happy.gif
. The one you're talking about sounds a bit like the Fotodiox with the Red Dot release. Is that trick you're refering to the lens mount switch wedge?

No, it was the switch you need to trick on the 1 series cameras. The one I have uses a piece of paper wedged in, so the one you ordered seems better. See if it marks or damages the EOS pin DJ. I know the little paper wedge trick works.

Back