RED-Problem EASY

Guest .

Banned
Hi All,

you might rfemember
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
thread on an issue which is well known to the SIGMA-community?!

Coincidently, I discovered a redicolously EASY way of overcoming any RED-Problems with such problematic RAW-files ... let's have a closer look:

Our RED-Problem ... we love it ... we hate it ....

Sample 8.JPG

As we know and as the histogramm clearly tells us. The RED-channel is obviously overdriven. Nobody really knows, why SIGMA's REd channel is that sensitive .... more sensitive than either green or blue-channels. The result is a large scale overdriven RED areas in the picture, that look like an ugly soup without any structures or details within. with the red channel fully driven, blue and green gain the upper hand and colours clip towards kindn of purple ... just watch it with my screenshot ... that is not, what garish red roses are supposed to look like!!

Solution is very very easy at hands! ;)

1) Just reduce colour Saturation within SPP to an extend that the red-channel comes under control ... watch the histogram! As you see ... colours are running flat now but structures become visible ... the roses become more and more plastic! Save your image this way!!

Sample 9.JPG

2) Just amplify colour saturation know with any suitable other picture-processing software! Now your roses regain their bright and lively colours ... your picture becomes brilliant and develops our beloved SIGMA 3D-look ... does it not?!

Sample 7.JPG

3) DONE!

Sample 10.jpg

Do not ask me why it works ....I do not know .... but it perfectly works! Just try yourself! ;)

See you with nice SIGMA REDs

Klaus

notalent

Whoa! That IS simple. I'm trying this when I get home, because I've got some seriously burned-out flowers. :)

OyvindS

Great!

Hey!

Sigma should employ you to solve all their various colur issues!
Well done, Klaus.

Now we only miss a way to effectivly get rid of the green-magenta noise in underexposed parts of the picture.

kind regards
Øyvind

copilus

Hi All,
Nobody really knows, why SIGMA's REd channel is that sensitive .... more sensitive than either green or blue-channels.
I've noticed that this happends only in some situations and on some red nouances or wavelengths (like roses) so maybe because of the silicon's gradual light absorbtion - red is the last and, perhaps less sensitive - and Sigma tried to force more gain in red, resulting clipping in those wavelenghts.
What do you say?

On topic: Nice done Klaus! It really works!

jasonh

I've noticed that this happends only in some situations and on some red nouances or wavelengths (like roses) so maybe because of the silicon's gradual light absorbtion - red is the last and, perhaps less sensitive - and Sigma tried to force more gain in red, resulting clipping in those wavelenghts.
What do you say?

On topic: Nice done Klaus! It really works!
I thought silicon was most sensitive to red, which is why IR is easy with digital cameras. I may be mistaken, but I'm curious if the IR-cut filter isn't actually strong enough....

copilus

I thought silicon was most sensitive to red, which is why IR is easy with digital cameras. I may be mistaken, but I'm curious if the IR-cut filter isn't actually strong enough....
Maybe, I'm not shure, but still, why this happends only on some wavelenghts?

notalent

Ok, I test this new easy method.

Here is the original.
red-original.jpg

Now, I desaturate just enough (not too much) to reveal washed out details and so the red in the histogram is no longer touching the right limit.
red-desaturated.jpg

I save this file as JPEG. Then I open it again.......in SPP!

Resaturate. I noticed the histogram would not push the red back to the right limit, which is good.

The result.
red-fixed.jpg

All done in SPP. No other software. What do you think?

Steaphany

I suggest that you avoid saving the intermediate de-saturated file as a JPG.

The ADCs in the SD14 are 12 bits, and you loose the details in the lower 4 bits when you save to JPG (8 bits per channel), plus the JPG format itself is lossy, compressing the image more at the expense of color details.

notalent

I suggest that you avoid saving the intermediate de-saturated file as a JPG.

The ADCs in the SD14 are 12 bits, and you loose the details in the lower 4 bits when you save to JPG (8 bits per channel), plus the JPG format itself is lossy, compressing the image more at the expense of color details.
Yes, thanks. I should have thought of that.

I notice that while re-saturating in SPP, the red curve in the histogram remains fixed while the other curves move around. Why is that?

Guest .

Banned
Hey!

Well done, Klaus.

Now we only miss a way to effectivly get rid of the green-magenta noise in underexposed parts of the picture.

kind regards
Øyvind
Just watch this....

SIGMA SD14 ISO 1600

1.jpg 2.jpg

crop1.jpg crop2.jpg

The secret is RAW-PHOTO-STUDIO's RGB-deniose-filter. This is the only colour noise processor that works the SIGMA-typical very low frequent COLOUR NOISE.

See you with nice pictures

Klaus

Guest .

Banned
Klaus you're a genius! :D Great work!
Hi Carl and welcome to our SIGMA-community.

Thank's for the flowers! Sometimes, solutions are closer at hands than you might have thought. :)

Klaus

P.S. I love your site and all your SIGMA efforts!

foveonfan

Your fame is spreading ...

Courtesy of Øyvind, your fame is spreading on DPReview Sigma forum, Klaus. Can I have your autograph, please? :)

Sincere regards, JR

All are very welcome to visit my humble gallery @

TheChebb

Awesome!

Thank you for posting this double tip - it is well worth the cost of my donation! I'm about to "pull the trigger" on purchasing studio darkroom though the one I've seen is the US version not the German version - will this noise reduction process still work?
Cheers!

foveonfan

Hi, CHEBB ...

Klaus mentions in one of his posts that the German version is the only version with that noise reduction feature. Sorry to spoil your day.

Sincere regards, JR

All are welcome to visit my humble gallery @

Guest .

Banned
Thank you for posting this double tip - it is well worth the cost of my donation! I'm about to "pull the trigger" on purchasing studio darkroom though the one I've seen is the US version not the German version - will this noise reduction process still work?
Cheers!
Hi The Chebb,

Noise Reduction ... both ... colour noise and luminance noise ... is the same with the German and the English Version (RAW-Photo Studio vs. Arcsoft Darkroom). The difference is, that the German Version provides Selective Colour Control in addition.

Klaus

johnyj

I tried this method, it works with only Raw Photo Studio, and it does not work if purple clipped -- they will become red after the treatment:)

I also noticed in the Klaus' post, the leaf of the flower has changed color after treatment.

grindrod

Just watch this....

SIGMA SD14 ISO 1600

View attachment 1815 View attachment 1816

View attachment 1817 View attachment 1818

The secret is RAW-PHOTO-STUDIO's RGB-deniose-filter. This is the only colour noise processor that works the SIGMA-typical very low frequent COLOUR NOISE.

Klaus
Hi Klaus, did you process from RAW to TIFF using DPP then open and process the TIFF in RPS? I have been looking for something to remove the low frequency noise at 1600ASA, have you had a look at my RAW files on the 'Processing Challenge' post? Image 24 was shot at 800ASA and has some LF noise on it.

Keep up the good work, Martin

DSG

Hey!

Well done, Klaus.

kind regards
Øyvind
There already is a way to do this...Dont underexpose!