DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Mythical (?) lens hoods and filters for a CF T* FLE F4 40mm lens

MomentsForZen

Hi there.

I have picked up a Zeiss 40mm f4 Distagon T* CF FLE lens for my Hasselblad 500 C/M body. A marvelous lens.

Because it is so nice and I want to look after it, I feel nervous that I will damage the front glass and would like to protect it by having a lens hood that was at least 2 cm in depth or a "sacrificial" filter on the front. I am having considerable trouble finding our what to look for.

When I purchased the lens (second hand), there was a metal "ring" that came screwed in to the front of it. It has "Hasselblad 093/40 Sweden" written on the inside, and I believe that it is known as a "lens hood and shade" and that it goes by the model number 40693. I can't see that number written on it anywhere, so I might have the wrong model number.

It may provide some shade for the lens. but it is less than 1 cm deep, and doesn't provide much additional protection.

Is there a "deeper" lens hood? Or a way to attach a filter? This seems to be a popular item for discussion posts. However, the suggestions always seem confusing. I have sourced some very simple and suitable FotodioX lens hoods for my other lenses, but they don't seem to have one for this lens.

Can anyone here help me out. Any advice will be very gratefully received. Hasselblad 5 digit model numbers would be particularly useful to avoid confusing.

Thank-you in advance.

:) ... MomentsForZen (Richard)

Hi there.

I have picked up a Zeiss 40mm f4 Distagon T* CF FLE lens for my Hasselblad 500 C/M body. A marvelous lens.

Because it is so nice and I want to look after it, I feel nervous that I will damage the front glass and would like to protect it by having a lens hood that was at least 2 cm in depth or a "sacrificial" filter on the front. I am having considerable trouble finding our what to look for.

When I purchased the lens (second hand), there was a metal "ring" that came screwed in to the front of it. It has "Hasselblad 093/40 Sweden" written on the inside, and I believe that it is known as a "lens hood and shade" and that it goes by the model number 40693. I can't see that number written on it anywhere, so I might have the wrong model number.

It may provide some shade for the lens. but it is less than 1 cm deep, and doesn't provide much additional protection.

Is there a "deeper" lens hood? Or a way to attach a filter? This seems to be a popular item for discussion posts. However, the suggestions always seem confusing. I have sourced some very simple and suitable FotodioX lens hoods for my other lenses, but they don't seem to have one for this lens.

Can anyone here help me out. Any advice will be very gratefully received. Hasselblad 5 digit model numbers would be particularly useful to avoid confusing.

Thank-you in advance.

The metal lens hood consists of two parts.
Unscrew them and place a filter between the two parts and tighten again.
The type of filter of 93mm has no threads.
It may be that you need rubber gloves to unscrew the hood.
Good luck!

The metal lens hood consists of two parts.
Unscrew them and place a filter between the two parts and tighten again.
The type of filter of 93mm has no threads.
It may be that you need rubber gloves to unscrew the hood.
Good luck!

Hi there Bennyd.

Thanks for this advice. That the metal lens hood consists of two parts was not at all obvious to me, nor was it mentioned in any of the large number of forum discussions that I have read on this subject, or in the documentation that I could find. Amazing - it was simply assmed that it was obvious.

By pushing the metal lens hood down on a rubber mat to gain grip rather than squeezing, it was possible to separate the metal lens hood (40693 ?) into two sections.

I got my hands on a 51411 93mm series Haze filter (that doesn't have any thread) and found, as you suggested above, that it dropped in nicely between the two parts of the lens hood. What's more, it looked like it was just clear of the metal built-in lens hood petals when I screwed the 3- piece assembly onto the front of the lens. Phew!

For now, I am happy with the solution of a "sacrificial" filter being in place between the front glass and the big, bad world.

My eternal thanks to you.

:) ... MomentsForZen (Richard).

Hi there Bennyd.

Thanks for this advice. That the metal lens hood consists of two parts was not at all obvious to me, nor was it mentioned in any of the large number of forum discussions that I have read on this subject, or in the documentation that I could find. Amazing - it was simply assmed that it was obvious.

By pushing the metal lens hood down on a rubber mat to gain grip rather than squeezing, it was possible to separate the metal lens hood (40693 ?) into two sections.

I got my hands on a 51411 93mm series Haze filter (that doesn't have any thread) and found, as you suggested above, that it dropped in nicely between the two parts of the lens hood. What's more, it looked like it was just clear of the metal built-in lens hood petals when I screwed the 3- piece assembly onto the front of the lens. Phew!

For now, I am happy with the solution of a "sacrificial" filter being in place between the front glass and the big, bad world.

My eternal thanks to you.

:) ... MomentsForZen (Richard).

I'm glad for you ;-)
Where did you find the filter?

Regards,
Bennyd

I'm glad for you ;-)
Where did you find the filter?

Regards,
Bennyd

Hi there.

When I did some web research ahead of getting the lens, I found out that this filter (51411) could be used with the f4 40mm lens. I would note that everyone complained about the design of the front of the lens and the odd choice of filter size for it. There certainly aren't many other filters available in this size.

I hunted around online, in stores, and in the various community forums, and found one for sale on Ebay. When I got the lens (with the metal lens hood), I bought the filter thinking that it would be simple to fit it. However, I was miserable when I couldn't see how I could attach the filter to the lens.

Honestly, it was not at all obvious that the metal lens hood was actually two parts that could be separated. It took a lot of force to unscrew them! Until I received feedback on my questions, it seemed that everyone thought that it was beyond obvious that it had 2 parts.

I'm happy now, though. I recall that there were several other filters of this type that I could have bought on Ebay.

Back