DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Where has everyone Gone

I tend to rely on results from in the field use and not some website than has not been updated in years. Test charts never made anyone a better photographer. I agree the 28-85 is indeed a fine lens but don't point it anywhere near the sun, it and the 100-300 suffer badly from flare.

Bobby,

Actually I have sometimes found open sky or any smooth gradient type surface the more difficult, whereas busy detail often hides the dark dust spots. But sure, there will be times when it's a real PITA - that's where artistry in reconstructive surgery pays off
happy.gif

DJ - nicely put, but your "reconstructive surgery" is very unproductive hours that could be put to better use. It's as bad as having dust and foreign objects in your film chamber. Bottom line is, the less you change lenses on a DSLR, the less of a problem you will have with sensor dust and cleaning it. And those cleaning kits are darn expensive too!

I've heard (a long time ago) that the VS 80-200mm is not a very good lens ... compared to say the 35-70, 35-135 and 100-300. I can't substantiate this, but you may want to do a search of the PhotoNet web site. I will see if I can dig something up.

BTW, I am selling my Canon 10D to get the 20D. If anyone here is interested in my 10D, we can tawk!

Bobby,

I think we're on the same page - the best kind of medicine is preventive
happy.gif
. It's just nice to know reconstructive surgery is available for those "I can't retake that shot again" when a few of years ago there was no way of getting it back.

As far as cleaning kits, all I've ever had to use so far is my squeeze blower. As you say, don't do things that encourage dust. What I do want to underscore is that with a little common sense, dust on the sensor is a non-problem.

BTW, when I had my RTS III the 35-135 was on it most of the time - beautiful lens.

CHeers!

DJ, yes, we are on the same page. I may cry foul but I am still changing lenses a lot even though I am paranoid about sensor dust. I think I would be terrified about changing lenses in places that are dusty and windy. I have 2 of those giant blowers, but it doesn't always do the job. The RTS III ... wow ... now THAT is a camera ... and you can get a good workout with it too!

happy.gif

Well, it's nice to see all of these smiling faces again...let's hope that photokina will keep them that way. We all made it through PMA relatively unscathed (kinda sorta, at least). Anyway, I could not stay in hermitude any longer with all these new posts flooding into my inbox. Wow! Here's food for thought. Did Contax miss the boat by not making an RTS IV (digital/film capable) like that of the Leica R9? Even better, an AX II with similar capabilities? I dunno, but the N series does not have enough breadth to it yet. All these posts about using a 10D with zeiss lenses sounds like an angle for those kids at kyocera. ND2 with more lenses would be nice too but can they really keep up with Canon? Nikon can't even do that, so how could Contax? Arrrgh!!! It's all too much to take. So much potential and so little action. My allegiances are with zeiss but my workflow and need to keep up competitively is steering me to Canon. Contax/Kyocera...please give me a reason to stay. Not that I would ever give up my G2 system, that is, unless there ever happens to be a G3 digital!!! Ho-hum. Any thoughts? Cheers.

On the dust subject, I asked a local camera shop to let me try a different lens on a Canon 300D and the assistant refused on the basis that he would not take the "bundled" lens off in case dust got in. This rather put me off. Has Olympus got the answer with its sticky pad dust catching system?
John

Some nice thoughts there Lytton, an RTS IV or an AX II both with digital capability. I'm sure that those would appeal to very many of us indeed as would a digital G2(3). Sadly I don't think they (the first two anyway) will happen because of the commitment to the N series lenses. But you never know. Bated breath for Photokina. It looks as though Voigtlander has stolen a march in the rangefider category with the RD1- expensive though.
Cheers,
John

I don't expect Kyocera to keep up with Canon or Nikon but what is disappointing is that even Leica has overtaken Contax in the digital arena with their digital back and Digilux 2.

Although I have gone with Canon, I am still willing to switch back to a Contax/Zeiss system ... if and when they give us a decent/respectable, affordable, and problem-free DSLR! I am not holding my breath though.

Back