DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax G2 Shutter Release Cable

G

I recently purchased a G2 and more recently (today) purchased a tripod. I reviewed the manual and did not see whether there was any special type of cable release I should use when I use tripod. In a pinch, I know that I can use the delay timer.

Can I use a mechanical cable or is there an electronic that I must purchase?

I appreciate a response - either I did not see it the manual or it was not included. I had to waste a thread to what seems like such a simple question. But again I need an answer and do not want to damage the G2.

Howard

Hi Howard,

you need cable switch L to operate the shutter. No mechanical cable switch. G2 manual page 192.

Thank you gentlemen: Paul for the referral to ebay. And Dirk for indentifying the location in the manual. I will get a switch L.

Howard

Dirk,

Will CONTAX CABLE SWITCH L-100 or CONTAX CABLE SWITCH L-30 work? Or must it be CONTAX CABLE SWITCH L?

Howard

???Huh?
I have a G2 and just bought a cheap regular cable release..and it works great. The N1 on the other hand requires a special Contax cable release, but the G2 can use any standard mechanical cable release
Jeff

Jeff,

Thanks for the suggestion. However...

According to the instruction manual that Dirk referred me to on page 192: "Do not connect a commercially available, ordinary cable release (mechanically operated type) to the release socket because it will cause malfunction."

I think I'll find a Cable Switch L, that the manual recommends than take a chance that it will cause some damage to the G2.

Howard

Howard,

as far as I know, the differences between the 2 L-types is just the lenght of the cable.

Jeff,

in the manual of the G2 it is specifically written (page 192 again):

"do not connect a commercially available ordinary cable release (mechanically operated type) to the release socket because it will cause malfunction."

So I would be cautious with in this respect.

Dirk

Dirk,

Thanks for the information on the 2 L-types.

Howard

Jeff,

I did a quick search on Google. www.jackscamera.com has the Contax Switch L-30 for $20 and L-100 for $22.40.

Howard

You guys are absolutely right about page 192 in the manual...but it's a standard push release rather than an electronic one. Does anybody know what kind of "malfunction" it might cause? I've used the cheapest cable release I could buy..and the results were excellent.. Wonder what the difference is between the Contax and the run of the mill release?

I'm stumped..
Jeff

Back