CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Replacing Light Seals

keoj

Hi....I'm in the midst of replacing light seals on my 139 and need a little help. The very narrow light seals that run along the top and bottom of the camera body, what sort of adhesive does one use to retain the thread-like seal in the groove. The two on the rear cover were easy (okay ralatively easy once I got the old goop out) but the thin ones in the body are tough. I was thinking that some sort of rubber cement might be okay *like the stuff one uses to repair shoes" . Any other suggestions?

Joe

joanjordi

You can use a sort of adhesive tape that stick by both sides, cutting it to the rigth width. Is not very easy to apply, but is a clean solution. The kind of cement you was thinking can be good too, but is quit dangerous. Yu need only a very poor quantity of cement to stick the seal, and test if the cement dissolvent don't damage it.

Joe,

If you will contact Mike Lorig at
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
he can provide you with the correct materials that have adhesive already in place. Just cut to size, peel, and stick. It's a little tricky at first, but works great. I've been using his materials for about three years. Check it out. They are very reasonable, quickly shipped, and appear to hold up better than the original materials.
Darn, I just told one of my trade secrets! :)

Lynn S.

O

ou1954

>Posted by Joe Kirchgessner on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 10:38 pm: > >Hi....I'm in the midst of replacing light seals on my 139 and need a >little help. The very narrow light seals that run along the top and >bottom of the camera body, what sort of adhesive does one use to >retain the thread-like seal in the groove. The two on the rear cover >were easy (okay ralatively easy once I got the old goop out) but the >thin ones in the body are tough. I was thinking that some sort of >rubber cement might be okay *like the stuff one uses to repair shoes" > Any other suggestions? > >Joe

I haven't done it on anything recently but I do know that they still make contact cement like in the olden days. I think it's a different compound because of EPA regulations, but it sure smells and works just like the old stuff we used to use.

Don Williams

joanjordi

There's a "make it yourself"solution in other brand of this forum:
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

I've applied this solution in my 139Q and Yashica FX-3 and works very fine. Don't need any kind of cement and it's cheap and easy-to-find material.

bunthorpe

For those less handy, KEH have replaced light seals on an old Canon F-1 for around $40, and did a basic lube as well. Generic kits are also available on Ebay for around $14, but are hardly self-explanatory ! Good luck !

D

dja

>>For those less handy, KEH have replaced light seals on an old Canon F-1 for around $40, and did a basic lube as well. Generic kits are also available on Ebay for around $14, but are hardly self-explanatory ! Good luck !<<

Because of a last minute time pinch, I tried one of the Ebay kits ($9.95 I think) for my 139Q. It worked out just fine.

The material used was similar to the "Foamie" brand material sold at Wal-Mart but it was precisely cut to the perfect width to eliminate the need for adhesive. The seller even included a wooden tool made to simplify removal of the old gunk and placing of the new material. I can get the name via personal email for anyone who's interested.

Dave