Replacing TripodCamera Screw in Leica Case

G

This may be a simple thing to answer, but is causing me grief. Recently found a like-new case for my IIIf but it has 3/8" screw attachment installed. I can change tripod female thread with 1/4" insert but that leaves 3/8" male thread to connect with my 1/4" camera mount. Is there an easy way to get screw out of the camera case without destroying case? Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks, Andy

G

Robert, your answer never made it to the forum. If you have some ideas please resubmit.
Thanks, Andy

G

I thought all LTM cameras had a 3/8" tripod thread but maybe I'm wrong. This might seem like a stupid question, but are you sure someone hasn't put a 1/4" insert in the camera?

G

Dear Ray,

Until I guess the late fifties both screw-mount and bayonet-mount bodies were available with either thread. The M4 and Leicaflex were the first with 1/4" only.

Prewar all cameras going to English speaking countries only had 1/4" thread.

I assume Andy's camera speaks English!

Regards,

Justin

G

My serial number is 619380 which makes it a 1952/1953 model. No question about it being OEM 1/4" thread in tripod socket.

Have since been told that screw in case is held by round metal disc approx. 20mm in diameter for most cameras. That would mean removing a lot of stiches in a tough area to repair.

Thanks for comments, Andy

G

Andy,

I suggest you not wreck a pretty good irreplaceable case.

Look arounf for a good 1/4" one and then sell the 3/8".

Justin

G

FWIW my IIIa has both a 1/4" tripod cocket and English on the baseplate (open/close rather than auf/zu)

Bob Marvin