DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

What would you get if you use do a lot of flash photography

Ok Stephen, if you think putting a 120J on a G2 looks like an idiot, but you need something reasonable, you need to look no further than Metz 32CT7. It has bounce, swivel and secondary flash. The magical thing was the secondary flash is well balanced with the main flash. In a "normal" situation, about 10' white ceiling, 45 Planar, anywhere from 2 to 6 people, Fuji Press 800 film, I always get evenly illuminated pictures. Many other flashes have the secondary flash too powerful. The flash may look not tall enough but very close to your lens - but that's fine the secondary flash must be as close to the lens' axis as possible to avoid shadow under nose. It will not cause red eye, at least I have never got red eye because of that, unless you put eyes near the center of the frame I guess. It recycles quickly and quietly and looks small. Complaints: the dedicated Metz shoe falls off all the time. Need something to anchor it to both the camera and the flash. But for lighting quality and compactness, pretty hard to beat.

Hi Bobby;
i've the Metz 32CT7 on e G2, for flash shots (indoor) what's e appropriate setting to work as you mentioned. Set aperture as per subject dist or set to TTL ?
your advice is greatly appreciated.
joeling

Hi Joseph, I have the TTL hot shoe, and I bounce 99% of the time unless there is no white surface. So I just set the flash to TTL and the lens to f/5.6 (for 10' ceiling) and turn on the secondary flash. That's with ISO 800 film (Fuji Press 800 or Superia XTRA 800) overexposed 2/3 stops.

If you don't have that TTL hot shoe, you can still do the same. Let me know if it is your case. The hot shoe would say SCA 380, SCA 381 or SCA 382 if you have the Metz TTL hot shoe for Contax.

Sorry to be dense, but: if you have the Metz 32CT7 and an adaptor, the flash will work just like the TL200? Also, I couldn't find the 32CT7 on the Metz website. Is there another one you recommend?

Thanks.

hi Bobby, hv check that 32CT7 has SCA300 instead. got abt 12 shots w yr recommended setting. when i bought e G2, it bundles w TL 140. trying scouting for manuals, no luck but will try again over wkend. let's see how the flash prints look like after developed.
thanks guys
cheers

Hi Stephen, with the correct TTL hot shoe yes it is as automated as a TLA200, only more powerful, more useful, more flexible with more features. The TLA200 is good for matching color to the camera body.

32CT7 has been discontinued for a long long time and you will have to find it used. Even the 40MZ-2/40MZ-3i has been discontinued and Metz has not come up with something with the same configuration. The current Metz model is 54MZ-3. I am unable to offer you any recommendations for the newer versions because I lack the first hand experience.

Like I said I use a Sunpak 120J right now, but the learning curve is much steeper than I expected. It was nothing like the 32CT7 which was much easier: just use 800 speed film, find a white ceiling and wall, bounce off that, and automatically get nicely illuminated results.

Joseph, you may use one of the A settings. Set the film speed first and the LED's at the back will indicate to you what aperture to use. Just use the same aperture on both your flash and your lens and off you go. You may have to experiment with film speed setting to find the optimal film speed, which is not necessarily the film speed of the film you are using.

Bobby - would you have a minute to email me about the Metz 32 CT7 please? There is one for sale for $35 but I can't get access to any information or pictures to know what it is, so I can understand if the price is good. You're the first person I've heard mention this flash. Hope you don't mind. Lynn@turnkeydesign.net

Hi Lynn, I think it is definitely worth more than $35, at least I paid much more than that for a used one a few months ago. Of course, if the flash doesn't suit you, it doesn't suit you. But I think it is possible to sell it for at least $35 on eBay. Sorry I don't have pictures ready to show you, but it looked kind of like a Metz 40 MZ-2, but with much fewer features and less power. It has a LED-based user interface which is rather intuitive and easy to use.

Thanks very much Bobby. Very good information. For $35 and free shipping I'll give it a try! I appreciate your help. Best, Lynn

Thank you very much Bobby. I will do some research into other Metz flashes and share with the group whatever I find.

If anyone else has other recommendations, I'd love to hear those as well.

Thanks.

Back