DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Zeiss Vario Sonnar 35-70/3.5-5.6

Hi. I just bought a 35-70mm lens. Dumb question, but what lens hood can I use for this zoom? I assume that I would use the same hood as used with the 28mm & 35mm lenses. Also, where is the best place to purchase 46mm filters? Or am I better of just using a 46mm to 49mm step up ring?

Rick,

You are correct. The lens hood for the 35-70 VS is the GG-1 with GK-54 lens hood cap. If you want the titanium coloured filters then these are widely available at most decent retailers. The black filters are especially difficult to find.

I own all G lenses for my Contax G except G-zoom 35-60 because I haven't heard any sound prestige. Carl Zeiss should develop a powerful and high quailty zoom lens for G users.

It's a very good lens: sharp, good contrast, no noticeable barrel or pincushion distortion, no vignetting wide open at any focal length.

A faster zoom &/or a greater zoom range would necessarily eat too much into the G's viewfinder and autofocus sensors. It is what it is because it has to be.

It's also the only lens of its kind ever made. Brand L hasn't even tried, preferring the simpler Tri-Elmar approach.

The zoom + the 21 make for an excellent travelling setup. The biggest concessions the zoom exacts are its 1m minimum focus distance and forcing the use of faster film in some shooting situations. For me, these are small prices to pay for the ability to shoot with the only rangefinder zoom lens ever made.

--Rick

The zoom lens is a great lens. Don't let anyone kid you on that one. The lack of sharpness is not really noticable at all. The convienience of having one lens that you intend on shooting at f8 or 11 all day in bright light is what makes this lens worth it. On bright sunny days, I take this lens along with my 90mm Sonar. I'm ready for the day.

I never considered the zoom after putting it on a G2 in the camera store simply because I didn't find the range of zoom adequate. Although it would replace the 45 mm, it would not reach either the 28mm or the 90mm. Cheers, Scott

Back