DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Smallest bag for Contax g2 with 2 lenses

hender

I just purchased a G2 with 45, 28 and 90 lenses and a tla 140 flash. I'm trying to find the smallest, most portable bag I can since I ditched my slr system for more portability. On the internet, I've seen the Crumpler
Steamer, the Lowe-Pro Orion Mini and Nova mini. Any other thoughts on the perfect compact bag?
Also, with the small bag, is a shoulder or hip strip more desirable. Thanks

>I would recommend that you at least look at the Billingham line, with particular attention to the Hadley SMALL. It will contain your complete kit with no wasted space. Excellent construction but my favorite feature is that the depth is only about 12cm, which means that the bag hugs the body tightly, reducing the number of knocks your equipment is forced to

Try a Billingham bag Ron: a Hadley, a Hadley Pro or a small =20 Hadley would do fine. It's what I keep my G2 and lenses in. Chris >

Hi Ron,

I'm on my THIRD camera bag since purchasing my G. My original criteria was just 'small and unobtrusive', so I originally had one of the Benetton shoulder bags, a very small unit. It proved to be too small (first bitch) and not so comfortable for me. The nicest feature was the top zip. So, my second bag was a LowePro Adventure 2 (rucksack style). A very small bag. But again, just a little too small.

I modified my criteria slightly after travelling a bit with the G2. I needed 'small, unobtrusive, wearable on the shoulder or crosswise, to take sideways strain off my back, and a little extra space for a map or two, perhaps a paperback.

I finally settled (after tearing apart the camera luggage sections in 2 or 3 different shops here in Tokyo) on one that for me, is perfect, and is also a pretty good fit for the G system. The LowePro Linx 220. It gives you access to your lenses etc through a top zip, but in addition, you can pull your camera directly out of the side through a small side zip (assuming you have a short lens mounted - that trick doesn't work with the 90mm). Plenty of small inside pockets, and some nice features lacking in the other bags I had - a rear outside sleeve (perfect for a couple of maps and a paperback book when travelling!) and a nice array of other pockets plus a small padded velcroed shelf between your camera and the top-most zipper. Nice, compact protection.

And comfortable to carry, since the carry strap is thick, well-padded, and this can be carried very comfortably on the shoulder, or cross-wise messenger-bag style. It really seems like a well-modified messenger bag, and doesn't really look like a camera bag (nice feature). The strap is thick enough that there is NO WAY someone could run by you and slice through it to steal your bag. They would have to perhaps be carrying a japanese katana to do so.

Hope this helps. I've had plenty of frustration with bags that were uncomfortable or just too small, or just too inconvenient; on some occasions, I even wrapped my G in one of those padded velcro wraps and dropped it in my regular backpack, the other two camera bags were more of a pain than anything else.

Mark Edwards

>[..i am using a nova 1 bag for the 3 lenses and a tla 20 flash and some >hoods . the extra space comes from separating the divisions in 2 vertically. ther e is space for a hip strap 1 1/2 - 2 " which is easily made and space to store at either end of the bag. makes it easy to carry on long shoots and the set-up is very versitile]

The Billingham Hadley line and the Domke f-803 were designed specifically for compact rangefinders and best of all they don't look like camera bags.

unfortunately the Domke seams to be perpetually backordered everywhere, and no one carries the full range of colors and trims for the Hadley except the official Billingham site.

the Hadley has a padded insert similar to what you fined in some laptop bags. the Domke is only padded on the sides and has a padded insert for lenses.

> [For those of us in or near London the choice is straightforward - Cameraworld has produced a modified small Billingham bag with inserts specifically for the G. They call it the Billingham Caxton. I think it costs around #90. I don't know, but they may even offer it mail order/over the web.]

Faisal, thank you for posting that link to Billingham bags. (http://www.billingham.co.uk) I had never seen their product line before. The Hadley range looks exactly like the type of bag I have always hoped to find. Sort of a classic old style look that doesn't necessarily give away the fact that it's a camera bag. As a matter of fact, it sort of reminds me of a bag my dad used to use when he went trout fishing, as strange as that might sound. While they don't appear to be giving them away for free, the prices aren't nearly as bad as some other makers here in US shops. Good info to have! Best, Lynn

Back