CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Reviews Contax ST

G

Something about the ST. Hmm, let's see:

I've got mine in spring 1993 after it was revealed on »Photokina« in autumn 1992.Since then it works fine without any complaints or faults.
The ST was placed between the RTS III and the 167 MT, which I used before. I changed for the ST because of some features:
»knob-dials« for time and correction factors
X-time 1/200 sec
Databack as standard
diopter correction for the ocular
build in ocular shutter

There are some other nice things on the ST, like the ceramic pressure plate or the shortest time of 1/6000 s (only available in AV and P) or the lighted LC display and speed and correction dials.

What I'm missing on the ST is a mirror pre-release and one of the programmable functions of the later models: Don't want the film always fully in the cartridge after rewinding. Also the viewfinder indicator doesn't show if you've selected a »+« or a »-« correction factor.

The only thing to complain bout is the knob for the ocular diopter correction. I often dis-adjusted it in my bag. Now I fixed it with some tape.

Officially the AE-lock only works with spot metering. But if you're fast enough in switching it, you can also save the integral metering.

Most time I'm using the ST together with the Tessar T* 2,8/45. It fits fine with an additional Metz flashlight in a little waistbelt bag. So I've got a full capable SLR with me in the size of a big P&S

Matthias

G

Help...

I brought a second hand ST and was playing around with the custom function. I don't know which function that i alter but after that, the camera will take three photo and leave the forth one blank. How to turn this situration back?

Ben

G

Just purchased a used ST any tips? Love the lenses on the G1 35 & 45 so I purchased and SLR with a 50 1.7 I have not found much on web about the camera. I guest it was sleeper. Thanks for any help.
Ray

dirk

CI-Founder
Hi Ray,

welcome to this Contax User Forum and congratulations to your purchase. I think someone else mentioned already that the ST is targeted between the 167MT and the RTS III. Later on the RX came as a sister model along. Contax gave the ST not a mirror lock-up, vacuum mechanism and some minor features of the RTS III to ensure that there are some differences to the top model.

Compared to the RX I like some features, which I missed on my RX. Above all the normal batteries compared to the RX and the LCD light button. The ST is very solid build is just working without problems. I guess this is why you will not find many comments about it on th net.

Pick up a film, put your 50mm on it and enjoy it! And of course upload some pictures and user comments here

dirk

G

@ Chi Yung Benjamin

Seems that you've activated the A.B.C. (automatic braceting control). If activated It takes three pictures. First one with mesured EV, second is 1/2 or a full EV overexposed and third is 1/2 or full EV underexposed. A.B.C. is activated with the litle switch on the front side of the Exposure Correction wheel on right top side of the camera. A indicator on the back side shows if it's set to 1/2 or a full EV over-/underexposure.
There are no custom functions on the ST which can be set seperatly!

@ Ray

Congratulations to your new camera.
I already mentioned some tips in my first article of this thread. If you've got some special questions: Just ask!

Matthias

G

I have brought an second handed RX recently and use it with CZ 100 macro lens.The camera starts a few weeks ago something very annoying.When I press the button to shoot,the aperture changes as the f-no. without releasing the shutter.When I press the button again,the film advances one space and the aperture returns to the widest opening.The camera is doing this in a completely unpredictable way.In the negative,you could see empty space between every 3 or 4 pictures.Taking pictures is enjoyable only if the camera shoots and rather than doing stupid things like this. Help!Help! Joseph Wang
Joseph Wang

G

Hello, I have just brought a used ST, I find the controls on the camera are very easy to use, however, can anyone help to tell me how to get the date imprint on the film? Thanks a lot!

Wilson

G

Hello Wilson,

the date will always be printed between the frames when using the original databack. If you want the date printed in the lower right corner on the film you have to change the back for the optional D-7 Data Back.

cu
Matthias

G

Hello Matthias, Thank you for your reply. I think my original dateback should be malfunction since I cannot find any date in the film.

Wilson

G

Hello Wilson,

first check what the Display on the data back shows: if there's only "-- -- --" shown, press the mode button to enable date or time imprint.

The other thing which could be possible is a lazy battery in the data back. Unscrew battery cover of the data back and fit new CR2025 Lithium battery.

Matthias

G

Hi Matthias,
I am deciding between RX & ST. Personally, I prefer the ST. I find the RX view finder very dim for indoor shooting,
1. does the ST view finder provide sufficient
brightness for low light condition. The Aria
is very bright in this aspect.
2. For ST, whenever I press the shutter to
activate the meter, there is a very
soft "click" sound, I presume it's the
electronic switch that turn-on the meter. How
durable is this type of meter system.
3. Since ST is Out of Production, how long does
Contax generally provide part after they end
the product.Nikon promise partsfor10years.when
F4 ends.
4. How many rolls of 36 Exp. can a set of AAA
battery gives. Can we use the new Lithium.

I couldn't find any infor. on the net for ST, must be the high price tag only few can own. Thanks in advance.

G

I prefer RX to ST for the following reasons.(1)viewfinder is bright enough.(2)The body is thicker than ST,this allows a steadier hold compared to ST.(3)The shutter is more quiet in RX(3)RX is cheaper.The disadvantage of RX include slower speed of flash synchrony.Joseph

G

Hello Peter,

> I am deciding between RX & ST. Personally, I prefer the ST. I find the RX view finder very dim for indoor shooting,
> 1. does the ST view finder provide sufficient brightness for low light condition. The Aria is very bright in this aspect.

Sorry, but I can't compare this. I used a Canon A1 and a 167MT before I got the ST. Also I'm using the Distagon 1.4/35 and the Planar 1.4/85. I've got no problems with focussing in dim light. Especially with the Distagon the focus really ?snaps?.

> 2. For ST, whenever I press the shutter to activate the meter, there is a very soft "click" sound, I presume it's the electronic switch that turn-on the meter. How durable is this type of meter system.

This once made me curious. I tried to shoot a butterfly. When I finished focussing and pressed the shutter for metring the ?click? made him fly away :-(
In the least nearly ten years my ST made no problems.

3. Since ST is Out of Production, how long does Contax generally provide part after they end the product.Nikon promise partsfor10years.when F4 ends.

Sorry I can't tell you about this. Maybe Dirk can help? Else try to contact Contax.

4. How many rolls of 36 Exp. can a set of AAA battery gives. Can we use the new Lithium.

Hmm. Never counted that. The manual says 50 rolls of 24 Exp. Never saw AAA Lithium cells. But you can also use rechargeable batteries or improve capacity with the P-7 Battery holder (4x AA Cells)

> I couldn't find any infor. on the net for ST, must be the high price tag only few can own.

I found somthing about it in the german section of
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
and also on

Tim Roger is comparing RX and ST on his web site:

> Thanks in advance.

Hope this helps you!

Matthias

G

> Spoke to someone at Contax support and was told that they are still providing support for the first RTS produced back in the 70's. Also, was told that the RX is not in production any more. Sales are limited to current stock (store and factory warehouse) once they are gone they are gone. That will leave two cameras in the manual line--the Aria and the RTSIII, the AX having been out of production and down to inventory left in stores. B&H photo has this AX as a special order item. If your are going to buy the RX better do it quick.

dirk

CI-Founder
Hi John,

at the photokina in cologne end of September Contax will present a new "RX" model. So there is no pressure to buy now one before not knowing how the new one will look like featurewise.

dirk

G

Hi Matthias,

Thanks for your information. I eventually bought a ST, the last new peice from the shop. After comparing with my Aria & RX, I rate it the best among the 3. View finder definately brighter as with Aria. I am already got use to the louder shutter, it is not that bad actually. It is very assuring to know that your ST has been serving you well for the last 10 years. Also above John.J confirmation of Contax support for their product. I also bought the handgrip P-7, the shop owner advised me against using Lithium battery cause Lithium AAA wasn't around when ST was designed. I decided to buy ST despite the arrival of new RX. I fear that the new RX might be too feature pacted and might have more plastic component or even larger size like N1/Nx, further more I'v got a great discount being the last piece.
I am currently eyeing on a 35/1.4 AEG. I am hoping that at F2.5-2.8 it would provide near optimium performance even at corners. Your advise would be greatly apprciated. I currently have the 35/2.8MM where its peak performance is at f5.6(too much Depth of Field). Thanks everyone, the wonder of Internet :)

G

> Thanks for the info on the new RX. The Tech Rep was silent about a new product replacement and Bh photo had knocked about $150.00 off their regular price. Personally, I think the RX is the best model in the line.

G

Correction for the above post:It should be Lithium AA battery.

And thanks to John J Wilman for his information.

G

Hello Peter,

> I am currently eyeing on a 35/1.4 AEG. I am hoping that at F2.5-2.8 it
> would provide near optimium performance even at corners. Your advise
> would be greatly apprciated. I currently have the 35/2.8MM where its
> peak performance is at f5.6(too much Depth of Field). Thanks everyone,
> the wonder of Internet :)

Used the Distagon 2.8/35 with my 167MT years ago. But I must say that I never compared the image quality of both 35 mm lenses. Shame on me, but Zeiss IS good.
The Distagon 1.4/35 is quite big and a bit heavy. But it's a great performer. Even full open it gives a moderate DOF compared to a 50 mm or even my Planar 1.4/85 mm.
Lots of my friends asked how to set the focal lenght ont the lens. Noone realised what this lens really is!
Hope that helps you.

Matthias

G

Hi everyone. A question from a Contax novice. Does anyone have any advice for someone contemplating the purchase of a second-hand ST and a secondhand RX. They are both about the same price and I would have the additional decision to make about putting a 50/1.4 MM or 50/ 1.7 AE lens on 'it'. I have had a T2 for a while and haven't been that please with the results; I think it may be faulty, but that's another story. I shot a roll of film on an oldish 167MT + 50/ 1.7 and loved the results.....very superior to the T2 and many other SLRs I have owned. Picture quality is the most important thing for me. I am put off many of the more modern cameras simply because I can't be bothered with all the functions. Also, I'm a bit put off auto-focus as a result of my T2 experiments, the sutter delay and ...well I think I just like focussing a camera. Hope this all makes sense and look forward to views on the ST and RX + lenses. Have to make my mind up soon.

Best wishes

Michael