DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Moving into Rangefinder G1 good option

Richard Good Advice!

I have been using my G1 for 4 months now and have shot a good amount of film. I dont see any problems with the autofocus it is plenty fast and accurate. I like the size compared to the G2, if I want to carry a big camera I have a Nikon F4. Also in pitch black you cant see through the finder on either the g1 or g2 because the green led's are all you can see, this is where the G1 has the advantage over the G2 because it has focus assist light you can see. I just aim with the assist light and shoot....perfect results using the TLA 140. The G2 has an infra-red focussing beam meaning you cant see it so in pitch dark you are SOL.

The biggest drawback of the camera is the viewfinder and if using a lens hood you can see it in the bottom right corner in the frame. Also when shooting at close distances what you see in the frame is not always correct. I love my G1 and wouldnt trade it for anything else.
Im sure you will love the camera and you already know how good these lenses are!

Oh forgot one thing...make sure to get a G1 with a green lable inside the film chamber. If it doesnt have all the green lable you cant use the 21mm or 35mm. Also if you plan on using the zoom lens 35-70 you need a G2, from my understanding the G1 cant use the zoom. Otherwise my vote is for the G1.

A friend of mine bought the package you mentioned for 599.99, thats 650. after tax maybe a little more with shipping..

I just wanted to mention that if you plan on manual focussing often, DO NOT GET THE G1 get the G2. The G2 is much better for this!

The G1 and the G2 are difficult to handle cameras. Especially there are problems of the focusing (mesuring of the distance in AF).
The G Cameras have a tyni finder, they also make it almost impossible to make pictures in the dark.
There is no light in the display to show you how many frames you can take and when the light lights up in the Viefinder you cant see anything in the background to selcect your frame. So you have to switch of the camera to view through the finder to select the scenery.

If you got a satisfiing Camera and lenses, i would not buy any Rangefinder Camera. But I very recomend to try such a Rangefinder at least for one day, so you can get your own Opinion. 650 bucks is not a peanut.

Thanks for everyone's input. I really appreciate it. I decided to purchase a G2 with a 45mm. It was a little more (for both around 700.00), but I bought the 45 new (taking advantage of the rebate). the Bod y is in perfect condition with its warranty cards unfilled.

I'm looking to try it out, I have never owned a rangefinder before, and especially since I do a lot of manual focusing, it was wiser for me to get the G2.

Geez, I own too much Contax Equipment now (S2, AX and G2). Oh well, not something to complain about
happy.gif

Ken

Ken:

Congratulations on your G2 purchase.

But, please never state or imply that one can have too much equipment. If that information got out (in the wrong hands) that could cause an enormous number of problems. One that I would never hear the end of.

Happy Shooting

Gilbert

I THINK THE G2 WOULD BE A BETTER CHOICE.
UPCOMING - (STARTING OCTOBER 30) - THE NEW
CONTAX PROMO - HAS SOME GOOD REBATES ON THE G2
SYTEM. (I THINK THE REBATES ARE THE BEST I HAVE SEEN TO DATE)
I WOULD ALSO LOOK AT THE VOIGTLANDER RANGEFINDER
SYSTEM AS AN OPTION.

Gilbert makes a very good point!

I've discovered, accidently of course, that there's a critical mass of photo equipment to acquire, beyond which one's spouse can no longer detect addtional equipment: e.g., if you have two camera bodies or three lenses, it's very easy to spot any addition to the collection. But, if you have six bodies and twelve lenses, new ones blend right in!

What's implicit, of course, is that it's very dangerous territory you're traveling in until that critical mass is achieved. And by the way, it's better to not have your gear all neatly organized, disarray is preferred.

--Rick

Back