DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

D70 vs D100

To: Allan Russell

I was hoping it would not come to this, but I am compelled to speak out. I usually am not rude, but will say what is on my mind. I am tired of listening to your comments Allen (and yes I do have a choice.... if you don't stop your rantings, I will cancel the email notices of discussions). I understand you are a teacher.... Well, there are teachers that are great at doing what they teach, and decide to pass on the knowledge, and then there are those that can only teach, but are too scared to get off the pot and actually do what they teach. I believe you fit the later category. I would not have a problem if everytime you wrote and criticized a camera, you provided additional information about it with comaparisons. At least, I could say I learnt something new. Its always the same thing with you.

You obviously don't place much value on your time. I would guess that you are at least over 30 years of age. If you were on your death bed.... and wanted to live, how much would you pay for an extra week? an extra day? or even an extra hour? If you bought the D70 for the full price, and hated it, you could sell it for a loss of about $250. The amount of time you have wasted complaining about it and remained without decision... is it not worth more than $250? Not to mention wasting our lives reading your dreary comments. As I said, if you brought new information to the table everytime you complained, at least we would have learnd something.

Personally, I have a Nikon F4s which could be used for self defence. Any camera compared to that including half the medium formats would be considered an un-substantiall in weight and may feel like a toy. But does that stop me from moving forward with technology? No. I consider myself an advanced amateur, and therefore realize that I may need several cameras for different tasks, just as we choose several lenses for different tasks. I have a Nikon Coolpix 5700 for everyday familly shooting, a Sony DSC-F828 for its low light focusing ability and an F2.8 at 200mm. I too am in the market for either a D70 or D100. D70 has advanced features not available on D100 and D100 has its own set of merits.

Get off the pot and make a decision... Either try it or move on and stop wasting my life with your winings and your inability to make decisions.

To the rest of the members, I do appologize if I have offended you.

Sincerely,

Paul

Ole,

I do concur with you about the 4000ED scanner because I own one and use it for all of my color negatives with PS 7.01. I'll try to find a way to borrow the Nikon D70 with a decent lens from one of my colleagues and make a comparison when time permits.

Alan Russell

Beergut said;

"I wish for a way in between scanning and shooting digital, but there isn't one. My biggest problem with digital is the longevity of prints. If you don't care about that, go digital - it'll save you tons of hours of scanning and cleaning."

Unless you have a stash of colour separation/dye transfer materials - discontinued by Kodak a few years back - Epson's pigment inks and archival papers pretty much have surpassed all silver/dye colour prints. I expect that even Cibachome (now called Ilfochrome, I believe) may have a shorter lifespan.

Prints from the local one-hour lab will have bright orange or red shadows while the digital prints are still looking good, provided both are stored in optimum conditions. Properly fixed and washed B&W prints on fibre based support are a different matter entirely.

larry!
ICQ 76620504
http://www.larry-bolch.com/

@ Paul
@ Alan

PLEASE Sir's this should be still a discussion - about the D70, as shown in the subject line.

Even I am not a user of this "high tech" tool - I respect every comment. I agree, a F4s (and my F5 and D2H) are self defense tools with the right lens (hihi) and even in packed crowds there is no problem.....

PLEASE keep this discussion clean, Sir's - Thank you.

kind regards from France

Walter
Mod Nikon Info Forum

Birgit has focused on the central issue of digital vs film in the matter of permanence with least effort and espense. Even tho I don't own a D70 yet I do use an Oly 5050, which has given me a very good idea of the elements involved in this discussion. At present, film has the advantage.
I use an early AF, the Nikon 2020 for color. Even now its quality is outstanding. I shoot B&W with a Nikon F. The negative is like Gibraltar.

Bob

"Prints from the local one-hour lab will have bright orange or red shadows while the digital prints are still looking good, provided both are stored in optimum conditions. Properly fixed and washed B&W prints on fibre based support are a different matter entirely.

larry!"

Hi Larry,

The paper used at 1 hour labs varies from pure junk to some of the best archival paper (Fuji Crystal Archive where I go).

I have never seen the off color shadows where I go but I have seen them from some peoples film prints from the "closest drug store". Having the right profile for the Fuji or Noritsu machine helps too.

And yes, I still shoot film now and then but now almost only for intentional "defects" like the grain of pushed Tri-X or 3200ISO color film and of course Kodachrome.

Ron

Hi all,

Ok I took the plunge. I bought the Nikon D70 Body with the Nikkor 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G AF-S lens, 1GB Sandisk Extreme Flash Card and the Hoya 62mm UV Excel Filter. Since my Daughter's birthday is coming up at the end of the month, she'll be receiving this as a gift. (Dad will also have a tumble here too >grin< I picked it all up at Canoga Camera in Los Angeles. It should arrive on Friday.

Thanks to all for your previous replies and thoughts. I value everybodys expertise in this field negative or positive.

Alan Russell

Alan, After all of the back and fourth on this D70 issue, I started to think that perhaps Vince was being a bit of an ass, BUT, after reading that this was for your daughter, I think you deserve "a slap upside da head".

Boris

Alan,

Keep us up to date re the D70. The pluses and the minuses, etc. I'll be interested in a D70 body only -- in the dim future. I saw it on sale for $890. on the Net. I'd also order Nikon's $39 case for it.

Bob

Back