DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Settings help

PhilE

I've just bought a Sigma Macro180 to go with my Canon 40D.

I am taking pictures of engraved steel plates measuring about 180cm across and with no flash, usually on an overcast day.
The camera has to be at a distance of about 4.5 feet to get everything in.

Light is very important with this and also to get a positive and not negative image of the engravings.

The engravings are usually flat but from time to time they are curved so I need more depth of field then.

My question is:- what would be the best settings for these shots. ISO, shutter, f stops etc.

Thanks for any help.

Could you post a sample image with your settings...and I might be able to help with a little closer...

Tony C. :z04_cowboy:

I've just bought a Sigma Macro180 to go with my Canon 40D.

I am taking pictures of engraved steel plates measuring about 180cm across and with no flash, usually on an overcast day.
The camera has to be at a distance of about 4.5 feet to get everything in.

Light is very important with this and also to get a positive and not negative image of the engravings.

The engravings are usually flat but from time to time they are curved so I need more depth of field then.

My question is:- what would be the best settings for these shots. ISO, shutter, f stops etc.

Thanks for any help.

Hi Phil,
simple method to aquire more depth of Field, I always regulate f/stops from f/5.6, f8.0 and more, with the trypod I set the lowest ISO for details, then shutter speed....
better if you post a sample :)

Hi Phil,
simple method to aquire more depth of Field, I always regulate f/stops from f/5.6, f8.0 and more, with the trypod I set the lowest ISO for details, then shutter speed....
better if you post a sample :)
I have been engraving and also taking my own pictures for about 30 years, up until now I have used 35mm and digital cameras, my latest 40D I have been using a Sigma 28 to 70 with some really good results, I was just wondering what the ideal settings were for this makro.
I will post some pictures shortly...at least you will see what i'm taking and what i'm doing be it wrong or right.:)

I tried posting a picture yesterday morning but I had a message that the administrator had to ok it! Infact I tried twice.

Back