DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Polarizer filter for g2

H

htree1

I am new to the G2 family, this forum and would like to know how to use a polarizer filter with my G-2. I shoot lots of scenics with skys. I am new to Rangefinders. Any advice, tips or help on how to use this camera would be welcome and appreciated. I have crossed over from Nikon.
Thanks
Howard

Welcome to the family Howard! The best way to use a polarizer on the G2 is to notice that most filters have a small white dot on the rotating part of the filter. As long as the sun is overhead, just point the dot to sun to get the maximum glare reduction. Another way is to get a second filter, look through it to get the desired effect, and copy the "dot" setting on the cameras' filter.
Roger

There is a very pricey polfilter from Leica desinged for the M wich also is suitable for the Contax G2.
You can see through the finder adjust the filter setting and fold it over the Lense and shot.
You also could make very easy something by your self, you also could use a non circular Polfilter.

Actually, an easy and quick way to use the polarizer is to the watch the exposure, and shoot when the exposure is increased, as this will indicate when the least input from the sky occurs.

One can use this to maximize the effect, or not.

I frankly find trying to put the polarizer on the camera after looking through it terribly cumbersome, and the Leica approach wildly expensive. In the end it amounts to not using the polarizer.

I have tried looking trough the viewfinder at the exposure meter to find the right position for a polarizer but that doesn't work. One would think so but it dosen't for me on my G2. Best I have been able to do is look through the filter; determine maximum angle; and try to duplicate that angle on the camera after the filter is screwed tightly on the lens.

Art, Have you used filterview made by photoquip successfully with the G2? Does it get in the way of the autofocus system> Or do you need to focus first

I focus manually with this as the 77mm filter gets in the way. The nice thing about this is that I can use my 77mm Singh-ray gold and blue filter which really adds some nice effects to landscapes. Some of my other lenses use the 77mm. Give it a try it only costs about $100.00.

Art

To All;
Thanks for the great welcome and response.
You've all have been wonderful. The white dot pointing to the Sun....Rodger that is good and..useful. I should have remember...(Filters class 101).
I am also following the "Filterview' link suggested by Artie. Now it's time to go make art...smile.
PS Where is the best place to buy filters, lens hoods and accessories?
Let me know.
Htree1@charter.net
West Virginia is beautiful in the Spring.
Howard

I have 2 pol filters, after experimenting with just the one I decided to by a simalar one and copy the settings.

Back