DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Zeiss G 45 vs. G 35 etc

G

This is coming from the G1-thread. Since it is easier to discuss it in the Lens-section, I put it here for Per Fischer:

Posted by Per Fischer on Monday, June 10, 2002 - 5:08 pm:

What about the other lenses, the 45mm and 21mm?

I want a 45mm right away, and buy a 21mm when I can afford it, but is
that a bad idea? I didn't really consider the 35mm, don't know why
really.

Per

Hi Per,

I think there is never a really bad lens in the Zeiss system. The more important question is what you want to take pictures of. Some lenses are better for certain subjects/shooting style, somer are not. Additional the usage of Rangefinders needs some time to master it. It does not matter whether tat is a manual M6 or an AF G1/G2.

The G45 seems to deliver the best image quality within the G-system. The 21mm is also excellent, but as a wide-angel, it is suityble for different subjects. From the handling perspective, some people do not like to have an additional viewfinder, which is necessary for the G21.

The 35mm is nowadays almost a kind of standard in press photogtraphy. So the perspective of the 35mm is common. You can have some "wow" effects, if you use ether something wider or something more tele, if that would be appropriate to your shooting style.

In my opinion, the 45mm/50mm is often misunderstood as a "cheap and boring " focal length. I disagree. I think it is a very versatile lens with always exceptional performance, because it is easier to design. Additional it is always small and affordable.

Just my 2 cents

dirk

I heard that the Planar 35mm had a similar optical design to the Leica Summicron 35mm f2 to give the picture look a harder edge? Would that be true I presume?

First, Planar35 at full aperture will not provide with a harder edge you said. Its optimum aperture is around f-5.6. Second, Summicron 35/2 has many generations. Make sure which generation you pick to compare with the Planar. It's well-known fact that the 4th Summicron 35Asph. outperforms the Planar35. Good luck. John

The 45mm is quite special (I know all Zeiss lenses are) and is a must for the G system. A "Standard" lens should always be a large part of any one's kit, and I would go for this before I got a 28/90/21. The 35 would be last as a lens to put on a spare G body for quick snaps.

I purchased a G1 kit a little over a year ago with a 35mm f2 and the 200 flash. I also purchased a T3 a couple of months ago. I find the lens on the T3 superb, just wonderful for my needs. I have toyed with the idea of selling the 35mm f2 and getting the 45mm f2. I know the 35 is good, but hear the 45 is the best of all of the G lenses. I am wondering if any have used both of these lenses? I don't think I would miss the 35 as I have the T3. I have mostly used 35mm lenses as my normal lens, even when using SLR's. I know there is a bit of a difference but think that it is not great. Wondering what folks on this list might think.

Joel Stern

Hi Joel,

I made test shots with all 3 lenses side by side. The T3 outperforms surprisingly the G35/2.0 in most parts. The G45 is better then the two latter ones. A very impressive lens.

But as you mentioned, we are talking about Zeiss level here, so the difference between them is not that big. I would say the difference between the 45 and the other two is bigger then the difference betwen the two 35mm alone.

dirk

> Dirk,

Thanks for your message regarding the different Zeiss lenses. I think I will look for a nice used 45mm before selling the 35, but as you mention, the 35 on the T3 is just so good I doubt I would miss the G 35mm lens.

Joel

I have the opportunity to purchase a 45mm lens for my G, used but in new like condition (I am told)..I have not seen the lens, I do not know the buyer, but I have done many purchases on line with good results. The price seems right as well, $160 plus shipping. I am wondering if this price sounds right to those on the list..I know KEH sells these for $190 and up, but for a private party what would the going price be?

Thanks

Joel Stern

I shoot with the G-1. I used to own the G45mm & the 90mm.My camera was damaged in the field it was out of commision for two years. I sold the lenses. I now have my camera back fully repaired w/ G2 mod and a new 35mm. This is truly an incredible lens, also but I do want another 45mm. The 45 was the perfect portrait lens not necessarily designed for head shots but great for 3/4 portraits. The 90mm I didn't really use it that much after focusing problems I put it to rest. But it is very sharp and renders very well when it performs it performs well.I love Zeiss/Contax excellence it stands out in our world of mediocrity.

Back