DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Zeiss G 45 vs. G 35 etc

I shoot with the G-1. I used to own the G45mm & the 90mm.My camera was damaged in the field it was out of commision for two years. I sold the lenses. I now have my camera back fully repaired w/ G2 mod and a new 35mm. This is truly an incredible lens, also but I do want another 45mm. The 45 was the perfect portrait lens not necessarily designed for head shots but great for 3/4 portraits. The 90mm I didn't really use it that much after focusing problems I put it to rest. But it is very sharp and renders very well when it performs it performs well.I love Zeiss/Contax excellence it stands out in our world of mediocrity.

board-post.cgi

I have both a 35 and a 45 and I basically end up using the 45 most of the time because I just like the image better. The 35 is good but the 45 is definitely sharper in my experience...

I've tested the 35, 45 and 90 with my resolution testing procedures (idential to Zeiss Factory procedure-per Dr.Fleisher). The 35 mm is unbelivable in that the 35 resolves the same at f2 as well as all other F-stops. I can not say that with any other lens I've ever tested. These include the other 2 G lenses, a bunch of nikkors, hasselblad 80mm, three pentax 67 lenses, mamiya c-series lenses, rollieflex, etc.

The 35 says on the camera 90% of the time.

Gene Crumpler

http://home.att.net/~nikonguy

> Do your tests include edge sharpness? Others have reported the 35 is not quite up to the other G lenses.

Sorry this all garbled. Contact me at nikonguy

@att.net to share it in a better format.

Gene Crumpler

I just purchased a 45mm fir my G1. I also have the 35 and 90, and I have to say the 90 is fantastic for portraits using Agfa 160 portrait film and my TLA200 flash. I find that with the 45mm there is a slight delay after the autofocusing is complete, but before the shutter trips. In other words, I focus, then when I press further to take the picture, there is a slight delay, which is not the case with the 90mm or the 35mm. Does anyone know why this could be? Does anyone else experience it?

Can't say I've noticed that. I did have a case of severe delay with = the 90mm when using a cable release with the camera mounted on a tripod = near to a bird box. I could hardly catch the birds as they came out of = the hole because the camera took so long to go off which was a nuisance = - no decent shots!

John

Gene,

I am interested in what you're claiming for the 35/2G. I don't have that lens (but do have the 28, 45 and 90 lenses) and have often toyed with the idea of buying it for the extra stop, though I was put off by claims that it was a little soft wide-open. What you're claiming flies in the face of other things I've read. Who do I believe?

John

John,

Gene's results are not inconsistent with my experience. In fact, the chart's 72 lp/mm is the limiting factor here - the lens could do at least twice that on Tech Pan at the center, but it gets soft toward the edges at 2-2.8 compared to the 45. Still a very nice lens.

Dan

Back