DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Review Contax Aria

The manual specifically says it is a good idea to turn the switch to the "off" position when the camera is not in use. While in use, the camera's displays stay on for 16 seconds, then go into power-down mode; however, it only takes a light touch on the shutter button to turn the displays back on, thus inadvertently causing battery drain. I have had no battery drain problems with Aria because unless I'm taking pictures, I keep the switch off.

Hello,
I recently bought a 2nd hand Aria.
Easy to use and very intuitive commands!
But.<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">• manual could be useful!
Does anybody has one??
Thanks in advance.
Regards
Bruno

moreau.bruno@free.fr

hello Bruno!
I own a Aria since February. I have the manual. It is very useful! What do you need to know?

Question on Manual mode and half-stops

Shutter speed cannot be set to half stops.
Aperture ring has clicks, but when you place it between clicks, viewfinder displays half-stop aperture value. Is it normal and can be used? Manual says nothing in this regard. Exposure compensation does not work in Manual mode.

Is anyone knows anything on this?

The exposure conpensation + or - works in manual including in maual flash
mode. I replaced a 159 MM with the Aria. I mainly shoot in manual, rearly
use auto and never ever programme mode.

The exposure conpensation + or - works in manual including in maual flash mode. I replaced a 159 MM with the Aria. I mainly shoot in manual, rearly
use auto and never ever programme mode.

Taken from page 126 or the Aria instruction manual on Exposure Compensation:-

If there is a great difference in brightness between the subject and its background, the subject will not be correctly exposed. In this case, use exposure compensation. Exposure compensation can also be used for intentional over-and underexposure. There are three methods:

<1. Using the Exposure Compensation Dial>
Normally, the exposure compensation dial is set to "0" in the aperture-priority (Av), shutter-speed-priority (Tv) or programmed auto exposure (P) and MANUAL EXPOSURE (M) MODES. To compensate exposure, turn and set the dial so that your desired compensating value comes opposite the index mark. It can be set in 1/3-EV increments within a range of +2 EV to -2 EV. When the exposure compensation dial is set anywhere except "0", the "+" or "-" mark will blink in the viewfinder, indicating that the exposure compensation is in effect.

> Shutter speed cannot be set to half stops.

I believe it can be set in half stops when in Aperture Priority mode. Easy to check by selecting that mode, and seeing if you can see half "stop" shutter speeds. I'll try it my self to see.

> Aperture ring has clicks, but when you place it between clicks, > viewfinder displays half-stop aperture value. Is it normal and can be > used?

Normal and can be used.

Austin

Barrington,

Taken from page 128.

In the manual exposure mode (M), exposure cannot be corrected using exposure compensation. However, the exposure meter shows the difference between the set value and "appropriate" exposure. Thus to compensate exposure, use the shutter speed dial or aperture ring to set the desired difference (exposure compensation) before shooting.

In particular I was trying to figure out the possibility to use half-stops in manual mode.

I checked last night. Half shutter speeds ARE available on the Aria when the camera is picking the shutter speed. At least in aperture priority mode.

Austin

I'm not specifically familiar with the Aria , but in most Contax bodies the Exp. comp. dial will adjust the flash duration in TTL when a proper dedicated flash is connected and switched on in Manual mode at least . Steve

Back