DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Can 645 with MP1 be effectively mounted onto a tripod

Gary, you forgot to mention that the 350/4 focuses really close for such a long lens. I've used it for head shots! I can't imagine the Hasselblad 350 APO being better than this lens. It has eye popping clarity.

My only lament is my work does bring me to use this lens all that often. It's hardly been used all that much, which is a shame. I should sell it to fund a 45-90 which I could really use at weddings.

Can any one tell me the advantage of using a bracket on C645 & TLA 360. I have never use a bracket and I don't know the purpose of it???
Thanks.

Steve

Those of you who uses C645 for Weddings & indoor flash Photography; what films do you use??? and why????

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Steve

When I use film ( I have a Kodak DCS 645C ProBack ), and I plan on scanning the negs, it's usually T-Max 400 CN for B&W, and Portra 160 (outdoors with fill flash ) and 400NC (indoors and in the evening) because they seem to scan better.

OR Tri-X and Fuji if for analog silverprints which provide a more traditional feel (and I like Fuji skin tones when printed conventionally).

I always shoot 220 rolls to avoid roll changes as much as possible.

I also use Delta 3200 for high speed B&W work using flash for fill only even in dark conditions.

I rate all these films at a lower ISO than marked because negs have a greater latitude for overexposure than underexposure.

I used to use Kodak 160 & 400 NC but switched to Fuji 160 NPC & 400 NPH. My wife and I found the color with the Fuji was more saturated. For Black and White we use Tri-X.

Has any one found a flash bracket for C645 with MP-1 attached.
It seems that custom brackets can only be used without the MP-1; as seen on Marc's picture above.
Has any one tried the Stroboframe T-Pro flip bracket??? Is it not recomended????
Thanks in advance.
Steve

Steve, I've used the Stroboframe Pro-T flip bracket. The problem I encountered wasn't with the bracket, it was with the Contax off-camera cord. The TLA360 is a big flash, when flipping between vertical and horizontal orientation the tiny mount at the flash end of the cord is torqued to severely for it's small design. I have had one bust in half during a wedding shoot... which threw my flash to the ground (luckily it wasn't damaged and I also had a spare flash but not an extra cord, so I had to finish the wedding shooting all horizontally oriented images).

The flip style brackets are very hard on these cords, especially when the flip bar loosens with use ( they flip to easily and to fast). I now carry a pair of pliers to occasionally tighten the arm
of the Pro-T when shooting my Canon DSLRs.

I wonder if the NIKON off camera cord would work with the 645?
In my experience it is the most robustly build one of the bunch.
Perhaps a Metz one would work also, as it seems better built also.

Side note, both my shooting partner and I have also had the Canon off camera cord fail on us. The shoe is made of plastic with one rail having a slot that weakens it. Constant flipping torques this shoe rail until it twist out of shape and also flings the flash to the ground. I now use the Canon Radio transmitter for cordless work while on bracket. Contax doesn't offer such a device.

The only safe bracket I've encountered is the one that flips the camera. Some of those I tried also become to loose so the camera flips to easily while carrying it. The one I pictured above is the best of the lot IMO. It has a lock to prevent unintentional flipping.

Dear Marc.

Thank you for your detailed response.

Does the pictured Custom Bracket work while the MP-1 is attached to the camera??? Or does it become too big and do not fit???

Thanks

Steve

I have recently received the Custom Bracket and it is very well built. I have not had a chance to use it in a field yet.

But one thing I like the most is the rotation of the camera, which keeps the lens axis unchanged. So if you compose and flip the camera, you subject will in the middle and no need to move the tripod or recompose.

I intend to use it in the studio as well even I use studio strobes. It takes about half a second and change from horizontal to vertical, and everything still in frame. FAST...

Steve, you may forget about the MP-1. It will be too heavy to use it with any bracket with the flash on top. If you set your AF mode to M and push the focus button for AF, the battery consumption should not be too bad.

Back