DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax RX

About the linear pola filter:

I thought that the RX didn't had a metering system behind a half transparant mirror, so a linear pola would be fine. Of course, the DFI will not work properly, but I don't care for that. So: why will the exposure be incorrect with the RX and a linear pola??

¿Can anyone explain me some advanteges of RX body over the Aria body in terms of final quality of the photos? I experienced in the past some focusing problems with the Aria and 85 f2.8.

Thanks.

Hello Leopoldo, In terms of final image quality there is likely no difference in these two fine cameras. I have the good fortune to own and use both. The differences as machines tend to be in the realm of the physical -- the RX is larger, heavier (28.7oz RX, 16.2oz Aria), quieter and has the DFI function that I find useful under normal light conditions but others have found it not so useful. Go figure. The RX is more expensive and has no plastic at all. The RX balances better with large lenses. As for which camera gives better image quality, I think they are equal in that regard. Over all, and this is just my opinion, the RX has the aura of greater quality as a camera body. Which makes for better photos ultimately is up to the photographer. I hope this was a little useful. Good luck.

Hello, Vincent. Thank you very much for your detailed explanation. Is an important point of view for me.

Best regards.
LEOPOLDO

Well today I finally recieved the call that my CZ 50mm f/1.7 had arrived. I just got it home a few minutes ago and finally got to look through my RX's viewfinder with a lens attached.

I am amazed at the brightness and sharpness of the viewfinder. Especially since my last camera was a Pentax MZ-M with a 35-70mm Pentax zoom. The view finder of the RX seems incredibly vibrant and true to life. I never specifically notived how bad the viewfinder in the MZ-M was but comparing the two one after another today the difference is amazing. The operations of the lens are incredibly smooth as well. The focus ring glides smoothly and the focus is quick and accurate. It doesn't seem to me like there is any middle ground with the focus like there was with my Pentax- you seem to be very obviously in or out of focus.

Needless to say I am very excited to go out and start shooting.

I just have one question about the focus assist indicator. Should it be trusted? Are there any conditions (low light I would assume) where its accuracy should be questioned?

I ask because when I was playing around with it today, I disagreed with its reading once or twice.

Thank-you,

Chris
Toronto Ontario

Well don't pat zeiss on the back yet. Try comparing the same type of lenses on the cameras first. Your talking about a 1.7 vs a 3.5 or whatever zoom lens. Most of the brightness and sharpness your talking about is dependant on the size of the aperture. So put a 1.7 or watever 50mm on the Pentax then make comments otherwise it's pretty much meaningless.

> Well today I finally recieved the call that my CZ 50mm f/1.7 had > arrived. I just got it home a few minutes ago and finally got to look > through my RX's viewfinder with a lens attached. > > I am amazed at the brightness and sharpness of the viewfinder. > Especially since my last camera was a Pentax MZ-M with a 35-70mm > Pentax zoom. The view finder of the RX seems incredibly vibrant and > true to life. I never specifically notived how bad the viewfinder in > the MZ-M was but comparing the two one after another today the > difference is amazing. The operations of the lens are incredibly > smooth as well. The focus ring glides smoothly and the focus is quick > and accurate. It doesn't seem to me like there is any middle ground > with the focus like there was with my Pentax- you seem to be very > obviously in or out of focus.

Chris,

I have found the focus assist indicator very accurate as long as the ambient light is good enough. If you have found that you disagree with it, try your test again with a tripod. When handholding the RX, any slight motion and the focus point is slightly moved from where you thought you were.

Ron in NM

Contax RX vs. AX

I am thinking of getting a second hand RX or AX body- the reason is that my eyesight is not CZ sharp and that the optics on the N1 are not within
my budget. I am considering the RX for its focus assist and the AX for its limited but useful AF.
Given the choice between the two, at about $100 more for the AX, which one would you recommend?
I am tempted towards the RX due to potential reliability issues on the AX with so many moving parts (remember, this is used, not brand new).
All help provided by experienced contaxians will be highly appreciated.

Regards

Andrei

Hello Andrei, The only experience that I have with the AX is having held it in a store, I found it to be too fat for my hands. The RX fits me perfectly. I am in my mid fifties and the DFI is just fine for me. I have never used the AX so I don't know how much brighter the viewfinder is or how much easier it is to focus. I understand that the macro function on the AX is great. The RX does have a diopter button for people who wear glasses. For me, the RX is a great machine. While $100.00 may not be a great difference, I personally would opt for the RX simply because it fits better in my hand. Since I have never owned the AX I cant't comment on its reliability. I have yet to hear of any breaking down with any more frequency than any other camera. I hope this is a little useful. Good luck to you, and whichever camera you choose -- happy photographing. Vincent

Being in the sahara for some time, I was worried about my photographic equipement (Contax RX and G)with respect to sand and dust. After I noticed some sand grain in one (MF)lens, I decided to use only my Contax RX and to leave the Contax G unused in my bag. I thought the RX would be better sand/dust resist then my Contax G. Is this true? Do you know which system is better dust/sand resist?

Back