DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

120mm lens

Hi Chi,

This resized shot was done on a 3 Meg p&s.

473603.jpg

Paul
happy.gif

Well, This is what I wish to say.

I am using both Contax 645 and Canon 350D. The 350D does impress me sometimes despite it having a small sensor. I would have problem to tell which is which if you show me the first photo and ask me if it is medium format or 350D. If you tell me that the first photo come from 645, I would have no doubt and believe it. The truth is it comes from 350D and Leica 60 2.8 lens.

Since Marc said it could also come from a 5 MP P&S, I am supplying the second one for reference. The first photo is still superior to the second one as being more crisp and real. The second photo comes from Sony 717.

Macro mode is the exceptional case. You could produce great images with simple camera in this way. This is the case from Paul. I am sure people rarely look at babies in this way. Once this kind of images are produced by a simple camera, one could be amazed by the kind of details they contain.

Imagine you use a 3MP P&S to shoot the baby in Macro mode. You shoot multiple images at different parts of the face and assume that the baby is static ( big assumption, isn't it). You might shoot different parts the body of the baby as well. You could add up all the small images to form ONE image of the baby. The sum of the small images will be 30 MP if it is made up by 10 images, 45MP if 15 images. The resultant image will be comparable in terms of image quality to the one made by the medium format cameras such as the Fujiblad of Marc.

Another way of saying this is the quality of the baby shot is equivalent to the crop from a more sophisticated camera.

I brought my Contax 120mm f4 APO six months ago. Its price in ebay is rising from USD1500 to USD2000. I am really pleased in investing on Contax.

the price inflation is really interesting...more reviving interest in MF, and some folks are taking B and W and scanning..the newer flatbeds at $600 like the Epsons 700 and 750 are great tools.

Back