DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

ZV-1 successor in May?

Any speculation as to what might be changing

Everything!

• Far better image quality
  • Far better AF
  • Better body
  • better battery life
  • better coffee

Enjoy your camera. There will be no earthshattering imopovements. ;)

Everything!

• Far better image quality
  • Far better AF
  • Better body
  • better battery life
  • better coffee

Enjoy your camera. There will be no earthshattering imopovements. ;)
1. I'd be very surprised if they don't use the sensor from the RX100MkVII. So maybe a marginal improvement I guess, but I have a hard time differentiating between the ZV-1 (basically a cut-down RX100MkVa) and the Mk VII.
2. Again, probably some improvement (if the new ZV ends up being a MkVII cut down for video) but the ZV-1's AF for video is very good, as it is. Without an EVF I wonder if Sony will even bother trying to make it "class-leading."
3. I'd be very surprised if the body wasn't the same, plastic molded body. I doubt they would go to metal, just because a composite body will be better for heat dissipation when shooting 4K. As it is, the ZV-1 heats up pretty quickly.
4. It certainly could use better battery life, although how they do that without changing the form factor is going to be tricky.

For what it does, I think a meaningful improvement would be somehow to keep the same brighter short zoom but tweak it just a bit to go slightly wider on the low end, like the 20mm equiv. on the ZV-1F, and some kind of improvement to the stabilization. I mostly use it set up on a tripod, but most bloggers seem to care more about it is just too narrow on the low end, especially when the stabilization is turned on and the video crop gets even narrower. Something like 20-75mm with no crop with stabilization would probably get a lot of folks, especially the bloggers, to trade up. I probably wouldn't, though.

I suppose it could be a ZV-1F with a fixed lens and putting PDAF back in is a possibility, but I kind of doubt it. I wonder how big of a seller the ZV-1F was/is, as it seemed to get discounted pretty quickly after release, whereas the ZV-1, one rarely sees discounted, 3 years after release.

My posting was meant as a joke.

Of course, there will be with each successor an improvement. But you have to decide for yourself whether this improvement is substantial enough to be willing to spend money on this.

All cameras are good nowadays. There is no urgent need to upgrade.

Back