DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

RX or

John!

Unfortunately, even on used market dedicated medium format film scanners are still very expensive - they hold their value quite well. Especially the Minolta Dimage Scan Multi Pro, which has quite a cult following. Some users think that it is still a better scanner, compared even to the much newer (and a bit better speced) Nikon 9000. One of the allures of the Multi Pro is that Eric the Scanhancer guy has made the Scanhancer for this model - it is similar to the grain diffuser on your original 5400. He (and others) claim quite an improvement both for color and black and white work.

Again - it might very well be that V700 or V750 is perfectly adequate for Medium format - especially for an amateur like me. For 35 mm - does not seem so.

If you are interested in scanning, then there are much better fora out there (from where I source my "information"). For instance the forum at the i-photo site is quite interesting - users are commenting/critisizing/asking question regarding the ongoing live Vincent's review. It makes quite an engaging reading - and you may try to form your own opinions about what to believe and what not to believe.

>I wanted to comment about the Epson Perfection 4800 series flat bed ... and >this may be true for their newer series. THE MEDIUM FORMAT FILM HOLDER >STINKS. The orientation is such that you scan very few frames. If they had >orientated the frame holder in the opposite direction it would work out >better. Whatever scanner you choose, be sure to check out the film holders!

Michael.

Didzis,

Thanks for that. I had a look at the forum and it is very interesting. I shall keep an eye on it and look for other scanning fora also.
I have heard of Eric the Scanhancer and looked him up - sounds(reads) good. Maybe you mentioned him before.

Cheers,
John

Hi,

Thought I would answer the OP..

Ricardo,

If you need good weather sealing, then you must buy one of the pro or semi-pro bodies, so that excludes the Aria, 167MT and the other 'amateur' bodies.

The nicest bodies to use are the ST and RX, which are very similar really. The drive of the ST is much noisier than the RX if this is an issue for you. The RX is slightly bigger than the ST, but not by much, but the plus side, is that the bigger grip makes it easier and nicer to hold. The RX and ST weigh the same, about 800g.

The ST has an alphanumeric red LED display, which I think is the best of all the Contax displays. The RX has a more subtle and smaller yellow LCD display.

Unfortunately the downside of these pro and semi-pro bodies is they have smaller viewfinder magnifications than the other Contax bodies, so this is a compromise only you can decide on. The RTS2 (also 167MT) has a noticeably larger viewfinder image than both the ST & RX due to a higher magnification.

You will not get all of your requirements in one body..you need to decide which is most important to you.

The RTS3 is very big, heavy and bulky, which is why I would exclude it.

cheers Steve.

Back