DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Wide Angle options

Dale's post is a fine opening for a note that Hasselblad thought so highly of the Biogon lens they built a camera around one: the SWC. They truly are that nice, whichever flavor one might choose for their G (the 21 or the 28).

--Rick

> I just returned from my trip to Hong Kong and I have to say that in looking at the slides it is difficult at first to tell the 28mm shots from the 45, and I mean that as a compliment. There is no distortion and the color is fabulous. I found myself using the 28 more than any other lens.

I don't have the 21, but I have had lenses that wide before, and they are fun, but maybe not as all around useful as the 28.

>

I think it's more about personal taste, but I would recommend to get G21. We use G21, G28 and as a new Distagon 18/4 (for situations when SLR is more likely in my bag). Apart from Distagon, which is another class (although very ineresting lens), both G lenses are very nice. As Richard wrote above, it's hard to distinguish snaps from 45 and 28 - except color saturation and some corner sharpness they are equal. For G21, I seem pictures from G21 as more stunning - that is, if stunning picture happen :)
You can also get used G21 for a really fair price - but yes, it's more pricey than 28.
Myrra

Hi Myrra,

Are you saying that the 18/4 is an even better lens than the G21?? If so, what would you say the improvements are?

TIA

-= mike =-

No no, Distagon 18/4 is, even according simply to MTF charts, way beyound G21 or G28. Comparable is probably Distagon 21 (I didn't have the pleasure to use it). But from a price point of view and if you don't hesitate AF, used G1 (G2) plus G21 will do very best for the price.
Distagon 18/4 has more vignetting, less sharpness and contrast, more distortion etc. - but I had to add some wide to my SLR equipment and decided on this lens, among SLR superwides it is reasonably priced. Anyway, it's somewhat interesting, especially on people's shooting. I wouldn't recommend it for landscapes, that's for sure :) Distagon 28/2.8 is most probably a better choice from performance point of view, but I use G28 and gap from 50mm is not that big. Maybe I'll add D28 later too.
Myrra

Yeah, I have too many systems as it is, I can't handle the idea of getting a G-series body just for one lens! Besides, when I tried handling a G2, I really couldn't get along with the AF.

I already have the 35/1.4 (a fantastic lens) but the main concern for me is to have a sharp ultra-wide, as this is an area where my Canon system can't deliver. I think the D21 is the one for me, now it's just a matter of finding one, they don't seem to be very common on the used market here in the UK.

Cheers,

-= mike =-

Back