DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Rumor Leica Q3 and/or M11 Monochrome to be announced April 14?

WilsonLaidlaw

LeicaRumours has posted that there is a Leica product announcement due on April 14. My dealer agrees with this. The two possibilities are the fixed 28mm/f1.7 lens Leica Q3 autofocus camera with a 60MP full frame sensor (the same as the Leica M11) and/or the Leica M11 60MP Monochrome rangefinder body. I am not interested in the Monochrome but as I get older and more decrepit, I will buy the Q3 when it comes out. This is to avoid carrying a selection of lenses for my M10-R, when I am travelling. With a 60MP sensor, this allows considerable cropping to get a 35mm or 50mm effective field of view. I have been a Leica user for some 65 years, since I was old enough to be able to focus my father's IIIa and a collector for the last 50 years, with some 35 Leica cameras and around 50 lenses. With increasing age and health issues, I have concentrated more on the collection aspect rather than photography for the last few years. For those intending to get a Q3, it might be an idea to get on a waiting list at your Leica dealer. The Q series is currently Leica's biggest seller and once announced there will be rush from those folks who had the earlier Q versions, to upgrade. I have put myself on a waiting list and I am at position #1 at my dealer. In my case, this will be the first Q series camera I have bought, being mainly an M body user from getting an M4 body for my 21st birthday in 1967, from Lizars in Aberdeen, Scotland. I still have it and it is the 47th production M4 made, with a serial number of 1175047. I still have my grandfather's Leica Model II from 1935, my great uncle's Model III from 1934 (with the 5cm/f2.5 Hektor lens it was bought with) and one of my father's, a IIf from 1953, with a 50mm/f2 Summitar. My grandson is the fourth generation of Leica user with a C112.

Wilson

Hi Wilson,

welcome back!

:welcome-to-forum:

the fixed 28mm/f1.7 lens Leica Q3 autofocus camera with a 60MP full frame sensor (the same as the Leica M11)

That would be great!

LeicaRumours has posted that there is a Leica product announcement due on April 14. My dealer agrees with this. The two possibilities are the fixed 28mm/f1.7 lens Leica Q3 autofocus camera with a 60MP full frame sensor (the same as the Leica M11) and/or the Leica M11 60MP Monochrome rangefinder body. I am not interested in the Monochrome but as I get older and more decrepit, I will buy the Q3 when it comes out. This is to avoid carrying a selection of lenses for my M10-R, when I am travelling. With a 60MP sensor, this allows considerable cropping to get a 35mm or 50mm effective field of view. I have been a Leica user for some 65 years, since I was old enough to be able to focus my father's IIIa and a collector for the last 50 years, with some 35 Leica cameras and around 50 lenses. With increasing age and health issues, I have concentrated more on the collection aspect rather than photography for the last few years. For those intending to get a Q3, it might be an idea to get on a waiting list at your Leica dealer. The Q series is currently Leica's biggest seller and once announced there will be rush from those folks who had the earlier Q versions, to upgrade. I have put myself on a waiting list and I am at position #1 at my dealer. In my case, this will be the first Q series camera I have bought, being mainly an M body user from getting an M4 body for my 21st birthday in 1967, from Lizars in Aberdeen, Scotland. I still have it and it is the 47th production M4 made, with a serial number of 1175047. I still have my grandfather's Leica Model II from 1935, my great uncle's Model III from 1934 (with the 5cm/f2.5 Hektor lens it was bought with) and one of my father's, a IIf from 1953, with a 50mm/f2 Summitar. My grandson is the fourth generation of Leica user with a C112.

Wilson
Before the LEICA Q3 rumors become true , there will be the DISNEY Q2 on the market . ;)
With this camera , your images surely turn out much better . :z04-head-wall:
DISNEY Q.jpg

I have never been a LEICA fan as my love belongs to Medium Format .
But when the Q came out , I could not resist . For me , the 24MP sensor is good enough and I have printed images to the size of 40x50 cm in very good quality .
Here an image just to show , how good the Q 24MP is . Thanks for looking .

I tried to attach the image in a bigger size , but could not .

LEICA Q 031 DARAST 1.0.jpg
  • LEICA CAMERA AG - LEICA Q (Typ 116)
  • 28.0 mm f/1.7
  • 28.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/320 sec
  • Pattern
  • ISO 200

Last edited by a moderator:
Leica's obsession with constantly bringing out cheesy special editions is I feel, demeaning to the brand but then I don't have to pay the bills. Apparently they go down very well in the far east. It is nothing new. They have brought out "blinged up" cameras for the last 90 years (the hideous gold plated model II Luxus in 1932).

Wilson

I tried to attach the image in a bigger size , but could not .
Please read the FAQ for image uploads. Just click on the link in my signature.

The M11 Sony sensor inside a Q body with PDAF and I will be on the pre-order list! Not that face detect on the Q2 is bad but I could live without the CDAF pumping during AF-C. That said, the Q2 has quickly become the family favorite camera. So easy for anyone to pick up and use. The problem is, once they pick it up, they don't want to put it down.

Back