DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Cormorants

nzmacro

DSC02179.jpg
  • SONY - NEX-7
  • ----
  • 1/2500 sec
  • Spot
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 200

P6300764.jpg
  • OLYMPUS CORPORATION - E-M1MarkII
  • 1/2000 sec
  • Pattern
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 200

DYDSC02704.jpg
  • SONY - ILCE-7
  • ----
  • 1/3000 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 800

P1013671-LARGE.jpg
  • OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP. - E-M10
  • 1/3200 sec
  • Center-Weighted Average
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 500

P1010166-LARGE.jpg
  • OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP. - E-M1
  • 1/2000 sec
  • Pattern
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 400

Various camera boxes with Olympus and Sony, but all with the 35-40 year old Canon FD 500 F/5.6L, still an excellent lens.

All the best folks.

Danny.

These are beautiful! That first one is the prettiest Cormorant I have seen and all manual focus - impressive as usual. Ha, I now see what my problem must be. That 400 I just bought is only a 32 year old design. It's apparent I need to get an older lens, and have someone else focus for me. :unsure:

Randy

These are beautiful! That first one is the prettiest Cormorant I have seen and all manual focus - impressive as usual. Ha, I now see what my problem must be. That 400 I just bought is only a 32 year old design. It's apparent I need to get an older lens, and have someone else focus for me. :unsure:

Randy
32 years old is just right ;) Youth will always win :)

Beautiful images. Our Cormorant's seem much darker here on the pacific Oregon coast. I guess they are called Double Breasted Cormorant's. I do love their blue eyes. they spend a lot of time sitting with their wings spread I guess for drying them. I love your third image of the bird scooping the water.

LarryDouble Breasted Cormorant_00002_00001_DxO.jpg
  • NIKON CORPORATION - NIKON D500
  • 550.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.7
  • 1/1500 sec
  • Center-Weighted Average
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 110

Terrific photos Danny. What species do you have in New Zealand? And do you call them cormorants or shags? Amazing to get such sharp focus manual on a moving subject with such much optical power. And while I'm being amazed at these I have to mention the perfect exposure to get detail in both white and black plumage.

Larry - your Oregon bird is a Double-crested Cormorant as you guess. You've also got Brandt's Cormorant and Pelagic Cormorant there.

Here's another from AZ - Neotropic Cormorant, Nikon D7200 with a 300/4.

Neotropic Cormorant by Richard Ditch, on Flickr

Interesting and darn good shots guys. We do have different Cormorants here, not quite the same though. Always interesting to see what we have from different countries and areas. :daumenhoch-smilie:

We traveled to NZ a couple times. At the time I wanted to get a detail to NZ. The second trip we spent a month on the North and South Island. We loved the people, the outdoor sports and the various climate zones.

Larry

Danny, stunning images of an often under-appreciated bird. I love the 2nd and 5th ones, but they are all great.

Also fantastic images Larry and Rich.

Back