DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

BLUISH HUE IN OUTDOOR PHOTOS

omarameen

I have recently purchased a Canon G3. I took a few outdoor photos and they all came out with an overall bluish hue. HAs anyone else experienced this? Can I correct it by using any filters, etc?

I have had the same thing, but I don't have an answer as of yet.

Set the White Balance for outdoors. If shooting in shade there is also a setting for that as shade has even more blue cast to it.

Read the manual.

I have gone through the instructions for custom settings. I am referring to shooting in the auto mode. Does it mean that we shoot only in manual mode for such conditions?

Auto mode has nothing to do with setting the white balance. WB (White Balance) is a separate function you can set in any mode of shooting, automatic or manual.

Look for "setting white balance" in your manual. All digital cameras have this function.

I have a G5 and have noticed that when the ND filter (Main Menu) is on I will also get a bluish tint in some outdoor settings. Could this be the problem?

ND filter stands for Neutral Density.

Neutral means no color cast is added.

Density means the amount of light entering the camera is reduced.

The ND filter function is used in really bright light like at the beach or when shooting snow scenes. Conditions where the light is to bright to allow a shot to be taken because it exceeds the cameras' top shutter speed and smallest aperture combination. Or when you want to deliberately slow the shutter speed down for a special effect like capturing blurred movement.

A blue cast to your images means the white balance in the G3 (or any other digital camera ) is not set correctly for the shooting conditions.

To set the WB (White Balance) turn on your camera and then press the WB located on bottom portion of the main control toggle switch (located at the right top corner of the back of the camera).

A menu of WB symbols will appear on the bottom of your viewing screen. AWB and 8 other graphic symbols. AWB stands for "Auto White Balance" which is okay for most shooting conditions. BUT it is not perfect.

So the other graphic symbols represent other WB settings you can use to get better results. If your images are shot on a cloudy day they may look blueish...to fix this set the WB to the cloud symbol on that menu.

This is all in the manual.

Thanks to the information posted by Mr Marc. Since the G3 does not allow you to set WB manually in the AUTO mode, I tried his setting manual WB in the P mode and the results come out definitely better. However, I suspect that setting the WB to auto in this mode may produce the bluish hue again since the camera essentially goes back to all auto settings. I would tend to conclude to avoid AUTO mode in dicey conditions.

Omar, thanks for the information in return. I did not realize that WB could not be set when shooting in the AUTO mode. I never use AUTO with my G3, so I never knew that. I also always shoot RAW because WB can be altered after the fact when processing the images on a computer.

You are correct, AUTO is a compromise for the sake of convience. When in doubt, shoot in the Program Mode for convience...as P allows you to manually set the White Balance for the shooting conditions.

TO Marc,I to have the G3. have not used it in raw mode yet,"is there much if any difference"?-Also do you find that you have to change W/B much-I generaly leave mine on auto W/B.and use aperature priority or shutter.
Regards Gordon.(dorg)

Back