DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

SL SL2

You could try Leica USA, or perhaps Kindermann in Toronto, Canada. I know they repair Leicas out of warranty. (not sure about 'flexes though) Personally, I would not touch it myself.
Colin

Kier, to remove the base plate properly you need a special tool that unscrews a cap over the tripod socket. If you use an improper tool the cap might be damaged enough that it cannot be attached or removed without considerable difficulty. I have the tool, BTW.

What is the problem with the camera? Did the film advance lever return when you tried to advance the film? Is the self-timer set? I've done some minor repairs to the SL so any clues you can give might help.

Hi, I have had a similar problem with my R3 and got it fixed in Brussels. The Leica handler was recommended to me. They do seem to have a very good technical service specialized in LEICA (The company name is ALPHA-PHOTO ) The total cost was only something like 125 EUR and they also put some new seals in.

Telyt. At some point in the past someone drilled out the inside of the tripod hole. The threads are still there but top of the hole is gone. I can see right into the camera. would your special tool still work? Where would I be able to purchase one, or is it an easy tool to make? I was able to disassemble the top of the camera, but can not see any obvious problem. So now the bottom is my only option. If I can not see anything obvious there I will consider sending it to a repair person and fork over the cash for that.

Keir, it sounds like the cap over the tripod socket is missing, so you probably don't need the special tool. The remaining screws at each end of the base plate are removed with a small flat-bladed screwdriver.

Once you remove the base plate, look at the bottom end of the film advance shaft. There's a flat spring wound around the end of the shaft, held in place by a plate secured with several screws. I do not recommend taking any of this apart! If the flat spring has broken or has become disconnected from the shaft, the film advance lever will not return to the resting position and the shutter will be locked. This repair is a job for a qualified technician who knows how to fix the spring.

Another way a Leicaflex might jam is if the self-timer was set but it's lubricants have dried out enough that it will not run to completion. If this is the problem, try tapping the pivot of the self-timer or the front of the camera just below the self-timer with your finger too see if it will complete its cycle. If the self-timer is the problem and these tricks don't work you can peel the covering off the front of the camera, pry up the small plate that covers the self-timer mechanism and poke at the mechanism to free it.

Telyt,
I have removed the two screws on the base plate, but there still seems to be something holding it in place near the tripod mount. I may just have to pry the base plate off then get a replacement... I do not think the problem has to do with the self timer. The camera jamed immediately after rewinding and removing a roll of film. The film advance lever will will fold out from the storage position to where it points directly back (when holding the camera in the shooting position) But it will not cock the shutter. Also the film release button on the bottom is stuck in the depressed position. I can flip the mirror down, and when I press the shutter release it will flip up. I have posted an image of the tripod mount
80953.jpg
80954.jpg

Kier, I can't quite tell from your photos if the cap is still there, but if as you say it still seems anchored at the tripod socket then it is there. If it were not there you'd see the circuit board the CdS cell is mounted on. The special tool is nothing more than a square key, like a 'hex key' except it's square. Please don't rip the base plate off. Sending it to me in California USA for a proper dis-assembly will cost you less than a new base plate.

>You wrote: > > Telyt,

I have removed the two screws on the base plate, but there still seems to be something holding it in place near the tripod mount. I may just have to pry the base plate off then get a replacement... I do not think the problem has to do with the self timer. The camera jamed immediately after rewinding and removing a roll of film. The film advance lever will will fold out from the storage position to where it points directly back (when holding the camera in the shooting position) But it will not cock the shutter. Also the film release button on the bottom is stuck in the depressed position. I can flip the mirror down, and when I press the shutter release it will flip up. I have posted an image of the tripod mount[Image1.jpg] [Image2.jpg]

My Reply:

DO NOT pry the base plate off!! You will most certainly destroy the base plate (doubt if replacements are available) in the process AND STILL be unable to remove it. Your are correct that it is held with two screws (recessed with one at each end) but the base plate is REALLY anchored to the body by a locking nut INSIDE the tripod socket. You'll need a special tool in order to loosen it BEFORE you can remove the base plate. If I recall, this locking nut is captived to the base plate even with it loosened.

If you look carefully inside the tripod socket, you won't see anything that appears to be a 'locking' nut. The special tool has a SQUARE male head.

Hope this helps you with your base plate removal plans.

Tsun

Kier, have you tried rotating the film take-up spool or the sprockets inside the film chamber by hand? This might un-jam the camera.

I agree with Tsun, DON'T PRY THE BASEPLATE OFF! Replacement base plates are available from other dead SL bodies but as Tsun writes it's likely that after all that prying the base plate will still be attached and you might also break the sub-frame that the tripod socket cap is captive to.

The whole top has been drilled out. I will repost the photo and point out a wire that I can see. Yes I can see right into the body of the camera. I can also see a part of a circuit board. it looks like it was drilled with the largest bit that the threads would allow. I dont see how any tool will grab onto anything.

Telyt, I have tried spinning the take up spool, and tapping various parts of the camera to try and unjam it. How much do you charge for this type of repair?
80957.jpg

Back