DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

First leaks about Zeiss lenses

Thanks Dirk! I was going to hold off buying a Maxxum film camera anyway, pending the presentation of the additional Nikon-mount ZF lenses. Perhaps we'll see the 135mm/f1.8 there again. I have the Nikon AI-S 135mm/f2 which is a fine lens, but not up to the Canon FD or EF-"L" 135mm/f2 lenses. I like the warmer color rendition of the Canon more. I have never owned the Contax 50 or 60 year version. Right now, I am building on a system around the fabulous Nikon F6 for full-frame with Zeiss. I wonder how much longer the F6 is going to be available? It has probably not sold well at all. The 85mm/f1.4 ZF for Nikon is going to be released shortly.

Christopher,

I do not think that you will see those lenses for other mounts. As far as I heard (but take it with a grain of salt), Sony made a special agreement with Zeiss, so that Zeiss can not do the same with other manufacturers. But I have no details about it.

If I would be Sony, I would make such a contract very hard for Zeiss. The success of the Sony DSLR "adventure" depends IMHO strongly on the Zeiss optics. If Sony Alpha system can not differentiate itself from Canon or Nikon strongly enough, they will go down the same route as Konica Minolta. So I would expect even more Zeiss lenses over the next 12-18 months.

But this is my humble opionion. Lets wait what Zeiss will answer to our questions...

The new Sonyies look very interesting. Thanks Dirk.
Could Sony finally be the one to continue the legacy?

Dirk: a question for Zeiss: is there any plan to provide a future for those who have invested in N Mount lenses. They indicated indirectly in the past that they wanted to protect such investments...but there is still absolutely no sign of an N mount camera (of any brand), or any adapter. Considering that N mount lenses are some of the most recent and expensive Zeiss lenses in 35mm, it's a shame that the N system is apparently so short-lived. Obviously, my question has purely selfish motives (!).

Hi Robert,

we are sitting all in the same boat
happy.gif

I think we will know more after the questions are answered. If there is a "no" concerning an adapter for N-lenses or RTS lenses, then it is very unlikely that anything will come up at all in the future.

According to my phone call today, it is more likely that we have to bite the bullet and say good-by to our N-system and RTS system/DSLR dreams. But this is just an impressiona and everyone can make his/her own judgement in this specific area after the questions are answered.

But my 2 cents are: I do not see any manufacturer, who has the know-how to further develop any kind of N-system. Manual focus & analogue (RTS system) is basically dead in terms of sales numbers. If you can not surpass a critical sales volume, it is not worth it to try...

The only one I see is Kyocera or Sony. Sony decided to take the KM-route, Kyocera quit the business. So there is no interest at all of anybody except us, the users/costumers, to continue with one of both systems.

It is a shame and it hurts, but I think it is better to face reality, to take the pain early and move on than of having another painful 6 or 12 or 24 months...

Whether Sony is in the future an option for Contaxians will depend on the other 2 DSLRs which shall come still this year and the product line of Zeiss lenses to be announced. The current Minolta/Sony badged lenses or the Sony Alpha A100 alone will not be an argument to enter the Sony Alpha route right now. We had already experiences with a system that was only one DSLR and a few lenses.

What we need now is a stronger commitment and a clear indication, that this is more than just an "adventure" for this Photokina without a ticket for Photokina 2008
happy.gif

IMHO 3DSLRs this year and at least one next summer (a replaement of the Alpha A100 in 2007 to make it more "Contax like") and 8-10 Zeiss lenses (many FFL, many wideangles, a few zooms) might be for me a strong signal.

If not, there is also Nikon with a Zeiss option out there. Rumours are saying, there will be a Fullframe DSLR sooner or later...

Dirk
I suspect you are correct in your thinking! I think I will carry on with my ND and N1 until I can (if ever) afford to bite the bullet and migrate. The results i get from the ND are beyond my ability...so much of the angst is related to good old G.A.S. (gear acquisition syndrome)
wink.gif

> Hi Dirk I am reading June issue of Shutterbug, ( late as usual ) on page 53 article on Zeiss ZF T* lenses, " the Planar T* ZF lenses in CONTAX and Nikon F mount has been relesed in drib and drabs" and will be available soon. So So is Zeiss coming out with Contax mount on the ZF?

Hi Endre,

I checked this with Zeiss. This must be a typo. There will be no ZF design for Contax mount. Actually there will be no new Zeiss lenses for the RTS mount at all. "never say never again" but it sounds like never...

re never say never again....
i know that, at the end of the day, it's all about business, but i don't feel that good about the c/y and n mount users being left in the lurch with legacy systems depreciating severely. of course, that's life. but i think that Nikon and Leica appear..at least superficially...to have followed different - apparently more "loyal" - strategies. It makes me feel that i should have invested more in leica r/m, rather than in zeiss/contax. I now look forward to my M8.....

Back