DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Wide & Super Wide Angle Lens on Digital Sensor Belong to Zeiss

You have an interesting name in ebay. I can see why you put up your photo with your chest naked.

Hi Albert,

"...I am thinking to lug my ND and 5 N lenses there if I go to Kyoto...."

Make sure you take all of them with you. Kyoto is a lovely place to make pictures. Because of its beauty, there are obviously many tourists there, but if you take enough time, you will find many possibilities to take some nice images.

I was there 3 years ago and wished to have had more time than just a half day trip for this place.

... and in case you are in Honkong on the Kowloon side for a few hours, I can send you the address of a Contax dealer who has lower prices than the usual recommended ones - if he is still in business with these low margins
happy.gif

Cameron Photo Co.
16 Lock Road, Kowloon
Tel. 2369 1063

there are 2 shops side by side in this street. If you are standing in front of them, it is the one on the right hand. Very small shop. Family run business. Cash preferrred but Visa possible. It takes from 2 hours until 3 days til the items are ther, if not in stock.

I paid there 50% of the officilal German list price for my N-gear. He also has Hasselblad, Rollei etc.

For Leica I found a shop within a strange shopping complex close to the other shop, also on the Kowloon side. Middle road face to face of the Sheraton Hotel. You have to go into this shopping circle turn twice right hand as far as I remember (street level) and then it is right hand. But do not quote me on that, my memory is not that good with this.

But I have no name and the shop has neither regular business hours. If he is not there, he just shut down the curtains and as a European you will not see any indication that there is a camera shop. so you ahve to pass buy several times in the morning and/or the afternoon to find out when he is open.

He takes cash only. Around 50% of the Leica list prices. Since I spent all my money on that trip on Contax gear, I had no chance to buy there.

All shops in Nathan road are just for tourists. Way too expensive. Usually you get recommendations for the northern part of Kowloon, but I found them significant more expensive than the other 2 mentioned ones. on the other hand, the shops (I do not remember anymore the name, these are 2 sister shops in Kowloon) have all Contax equipment in stock and make a better impression when entered the first time
happy.gif

There is also a shop on Nathan Road in the shoping compex called "Miramar" i think. Again street level on the right hand. They have also second hand equipment. But I did not find them extraordinary cheap.

Very often US prices are cheaper, depending on the currency exchange rate...

On the HongKong side I did not find any interesting Contax or Leica shop...

Ah, befor I forget, if you are on the Kowloon side, you have to do 3 things.

1. Get a cup of tea in the afternoon in the Peninsula Hotel. It is real nice sitting there at the lobby and breath this wonderful architecture and atmosphere.

2. In the evening, go also to the Peninsula Hotel, take the lift to go to the highest level into the Philip Starck bar within the Peninsula Hotel. You will have a great view over HongKong. And do not forget to use the mens room, It is worth a visit
happy.gif

3. The best view (romantic in the evening) from the Kowloon side to the HongKong side is if you go on the border of the water close to the Intercontinental Hotel at the bottom of Kowloon. You can buy a coke there at a Kiosk and sit on that border directly at the water with a fantastic view on the colourful skyscrapers of the HongKong side.

The other places I guess are all shown in the tourist gides (Peekview etc.). I can look in my old notes if you need some more tips for dinner places etc. I found it sometimes difficult to find certain restaurants, since I do not read/talk chinese. But I am sure the locals here in the forum know great places much better than me
happy.gif

Oh man, I would love to do a HongKong trip again
happy.gif

Thanks Dirk for the info.

I go to HK once a year for the Chinese New Year holiday. Next time I will check out all the places you mentioned.

As a side note, by next March, my baby will be about one and a half year old. I am afraid my wife will only allow me to travel with my 20D+17-85IS. :-(

Chi, please check out the place for me and don't bring the price up by buying all the goodies. :)

Albert, I was in Kyoto many years ago, at the time with a Bronica GS-1 6x7. I remember we stayed at the Gimond Hotel, and by the elevator fire extinguisher they had a sign: "Emit smoke in case of fire" that totally cracked me up. Kind of like "Please take advantage of our chamber maids"
happy.gif

That same trip I was also in Kowloon, and remember picking up the spot-meter reading AE viewfinder for the GS-1 for about 30% less than I could in the US. I haven't scanned any from that trip yet, maybe never - so many images, so little time! Before that I want to do the ones from Borneo, going up the Skrang river with a Fuji GX-680 (motorized 6x8 with front rise/fall & tilt) and spending a couple of nights in a far-up longhouse guests of an ex-headhunting tribe, away from the touristy places.

Two brother photographer friends and myself were extremely lucky to connect with a former student of K.F. Wong, who did much of the pioneering photography of the area and its people, and managed to get him to arrange the trip and take us. My friends did most of the arrangements - I kind of tagged along
happy.gif
. One of them is responsible for my avatar picture here, a crop from a 4x5 (couldn't you tell???).

There's probably time we can make, it's getting the energy up
happy.gif
. Hmmm, I'm starting to work up some inertia thinking about it ...

Albert, I waxed so nostalgic I missed commenting on the ND. It's really just sitting there, along with a couple of EF lenses I'm not using but keeping for that "need for speed" occasion. On the one hand I feel guilty, on the other hand I'm just liking what I'm getting with the 1Ds2 / CZ / R combination way too much
biggrin.gif
. I really should get it out to somebody who will use it. But I just saw an ND kit got 0 bids in eBay recently.

DJ, travelling/hiking with the GX-680 would be a true master photog act. Lugging my ND gears to Koyto would be nothing relatively speaking.

Just a few years back, I used to lug my all metal Toyo 4x5 (45GX) studio view camera to the near by Mt Diablo to shoot trees and stuff. Never complained about the weight and time for setup. Digital really make me lazy. As Ansel Adams said " if it is more than 10 ft away from the car, it is not worth shooting."

Now I mainly shoot family stuff with my ND. I really love it. I am going to have a gig to shoot corporate portraits. I was planning to use my ND and C645 with some strobes and softboxes. But now, they want to do it fast, like graudation pictures. I may bring my 1D2 and couple of 580EX and Quantum flash in stead.

I recently got a 16-35L and really like it. I shot a whole wedding with this lens two weeks ago with good result. I hope the B/G will not think I am crazy. I hate the 24-70L and could not lug my 70-200IS there due to demanding schedule and long hrs.

I know if I have a FF dSLR, the 16-35L won't cut it. I think I should start saving for a zeiss 21mm. Or buying lottery (more likely.)

Back