DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Wide & Super Wide Angle Lens on Digital Sensor Belong to Zeiss

DJ - don't worry about the ND - or about liquidity issues. e-mail me at kenpops@yahoo.com we'll come to a price and instead of walking into every dealer in NY looking for an ND maybe I can get one. This is NY - we can do the deal at a diner along the LIE between Queens and Nassau.
See - there's always someone willing to finance your other Contax hobbies. For the right price.

Ken

OK, Ken. I have the 24-85, 70-300 and 50/1.4 lenses all with B+W UV filters (the earlier version) and original hoods, boxes, docs and CDs, plus three battery holders altogether. I need to get psychologically ready for this. Looking at the manual CZ lenses in the other bag will help ...

Albert, when people complain about the weight of the 1Ds2, I say "Huh?". I actually like the heft and believe it helps getting sharper handheld shots at slower shutter speeds. I'd probably complain more about the size.

The funny thing is Fuji made a bracket with strap so you could hang that monstrous GX-680 around your neck. I actually used to use that thing! But that was when I was younger
happy.gif

DJ, what you need to do is to get the 17-35 f/2.8 for your ND. Play with it before you decided to sell them. Then you can go to heaven with no regrets. It is a really really fun/good lens (well, in the N class as least.) Unless you already had it and sold it of course.

DJ, if you're ready e-mail me off line and we can start to figure this out.
Alternatively, if you can borrow a 17-35 for the weekend and you can test Albert's theory [first] and then we'll still probably end up doing a deal. If you want to, maybe I know where you can borrow a 17-35.
I'm in no rush so whenever you're ready is fine - (just because I transferred some extra cash from savings to checking is coincidence)
Kenny
kenpops@yahoo.com

No, the 17-35 will not make me go back to the ND from the 1Ds2 and the manual focus CZ lenses. It would only make me wish I could use it on the 1Ds2. It's just a psychological adjustment I need to make
happy.gif

Give me a week or two ...

Dirk,

You really know how to enjoy yourself in Hong Kong. You mentioned that that there is a shop on Nathan Road in a shopping complex called ''Miramar". I agree with you that this shop is not cheap, but the shop next to it can make you hit the jackport. This is the place where I brought two lenses 21 2.8, 85 1.2 for 3.2k (USD) both in mint condition.

If any of you people wish me to take you to places for shopping of gears, you can e-mail me before you go. I work and live near the place.

Dirk,

The "strange shop" that you mentioned is operated by a friendly gentleman who used to work at the former Contax distributor in Hong Kong. The shop sells mostly parallel imports of Leica and Rollei (medium format) stuffs; used to sell Contax stuffs as well in the past. I agree that this shop's prices are the lowest in Hong Kong, generally speaking.

Quite some months ago I found this shop less "active" than before (the shop opened on Saturday in the past, the shop closes even on Saturday sometimes nowadays) and the operator told me business was difficult because he didn't sell Japanese camears / lens or digi stuffs and Leica increased prices rapidly. Hope the shop can survive this difficult period, because the operator is really a nice guy and he does not operate this shop just for $$.

On the other hand, the shop mentioned by Dirk, the one on Nathan Road in the shopping Complex Dirk called Miramar, is generating serious revenue, Dirk said it is not cheap, because the shopkeeper is driving Ferrari.

Hi,

please bear in mind that it is aling time ago since I was in HongKong, so thing might have changed, but I found this shop (and the strange one) the cheapest:

Cameron Photo Co.
16 Lock Road, Kowloon

But maybe it does exist not anymore. This shop is in a very smal street parallel to Nathan road. If you look on tha map. left hand of Nathan road. And the street is not looking like that there would be tourist photo shops, so you have to look really for it as far as I remember
happy.gif

@Ringo

thanks for the background information. I found that person also very friendly. But unfortunetale I could not get cash in that amount within 48 hours ( I stayed only 4 days in HongKong), so I decided to buy everything in Lock Road with my Visa Card. But this was a hassle too (ID checking, control calls of Visa etc.). But it is for my security, so I can not complain...

@Chi Yuan

Yes I try to do my best
happy.gif
I always try to get recommendations from locals before I go somewhere. In the older times, I had to travel internationally a lot. Always only for 3-4 days somwhere. So I just did not have the time to search for myself for it. This makes it easier to get a good overview of Cities in a short period of time - although the Peninsula is not really an indication for whole HongKong
happy.gif

But I have never seen so many Rolls Royce in a city like in HongKong. Maybe in Hollywood are some more
happy.gif

"...If any of you people wish me to take you to places for shopping of gears, you can e-mail me before you go. I work and live near the place..."

I will certainly do this. I love to meet Contaxians and it is great to see people who have similar preferences in their hobby.

Back