DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Monopods

W

writing4me

Hello everyone,
Would you please give me your thoughts and comments on choosing and using a monopod? I shoot 50-100 speed slide film mostly. I like to shoot handheld when I can, but have had to lug around my tripod too often lately. I enjoy that extra crispness that can be had by locking down a camera on a good tripod, but it is sometimes a bit overkill when I want to just have fun and be able to shoot say 1/15 or 1/30 speeds with a 50mm lens in a busy place. Are these speeds reasonable to get with a monopod and a small lens like a 50? Thanks for any advice and tips.
Best,
-Lynn L.

try the manfrotto 479-4B with the 331 head... it comes with an auxiliary leg... making it a sort of tripod when needed... ligther than a tripod... more stable if needed than a straight monopod... but same weight...

>I've used a SLIK monopod for almost 20 years. there's a large range of prices, but any monopod is 100% improvement. One trick is to use it tucked into your belt. It's not as good as using it on the ground, but it really helps steady the camera.

Lynn:

Greetings

I have been using a Bogen carbon fiber monopod for photography and after making a smooth cap for it, as a walking stick for a couple of years now.

I keep it with me at all times now.

Some situations it seems to be a bit awkward to compose a moving object like a bird, perhaps misplaced use, but if in the field and set up for a landscape and an Eagle flys by. I have become acquainted with it now. If you have ever wanted to have something to hold a camera over a ledge, for a waterfall or stream, they work great.

There aluminum model is a little lighter, less expensive and also works as well.

Good Luck

Gilbert

Hi Lynn! Ever thought of using a cl& instead of a tripod? I've assembled one out of a cl& for light from Banfrotto/Bogen with a little head on it. It's not that light as one would assume and you need some time to fix it somewhere, but it works fine. I once bought a monopod from Berlebach (out of wood). I never used it, because it is too long and embarassing when you walk. Take care Martin

I have tried using the Minox mini-monopod, which will unscrew into a = tripod if you need it, to try and get low light shots on a Minox with slow = film. I have to say that I notice no difference in the shots taken with or = without the monopod so I assume it is not making a great deal of difference. I = know from using shooting stick(s) in taking standing shots in target sporting rifle shooting, that you have to make a tripod with your legs and the = stick support. I always see people using a monopod in a vertical position, = which from the experience of shooting, I know does not work. In shooting you always have the stick support off at an angle to one side, slightly = forward and brace against it, which also has the advantage of an alteration of = the angle giving variable height. If I buy a longer monopod or can manage = to modify my Leki extendable aluminium walking stick to work as a Monopod, = I will report further.

Hi (again) Lynn!

Monopod.....best low-priced bit of kit I ever bought! Manfrotto 079-4. I nearly lost it to my better half....until she insisted on me buying her one for Christmas! She got a black 479B. We both use Manfrotto quick-release heads.

I too shoot mainly 100 speed tranny, and once wedged against a fence or similar, it's nearly as solid as my Benbo! I can use shutter speeds well under the usual 1/focal length rule! E.g. shooting with 300mm at 1/125th and even 1/60th once braced against something (and you can usually find something!)I'd say you would have no trouble with 1/15th on a 50mm, once you got the hang of it. It's sooooo much quicker than a tripod when you are on the move!

Where I find it very useful, is shooting close-ups of Dragonflies and other insects. I used to find trying to arrange 3 legs in amongst the undergrowth both tedious and counter-productive. The little buggers would generally fly off at the slightest "wrong" twitch of a piece of undergrowth. Now, I place the Monopod foot down on a convenient patch of earth and slowly lean into the shot. If you set the tension of the tilt head just right, you can adjust the angle of the camera and lens as you lean futher down, by just a bit of pressure on the camera and lens, as you hold them in both hands. Far fewer missed shots these days!

It is also very handy to test water depth and how solid a pond's waters edge is if I have to get my feet wet to get the dragonfly shot that I want. Also, for testing if the ground is too boggy....for when I don't want to get my feet wet! Doubles as a trekking stick, for those uphill climbs, too!

Cheers, Bob.

Quite frankly I often shoot at 1/15 and 1/30th handheld with reasonably sharp results , however , I would recommend a monopod unreservedly . I have used mine for all sorts of things and different lens/exposure combinations , right up to my Tamron 300mm F2.8 with 2x converter for surfing pics! I also think it helps if you're in a dodgy area with all your expensive gear - not many thugs are likely to take on someone with a big metal rod swinging menacingly in their hands! Steve

Hello Lynn,

I've got a Manfrotto monopod - but occasionally, I've found I cannot use it because authorities at certain locations will not permit the use of a monopod - a good ex&le being historic locations like castles etc. However, I 've managed to get around this by buying a walking stick from a c&ing shop - and a camera adaptor which cl&s on the side of the walking stick - so the whole set-up looks quite discreet.

As a rule, I've found monopods tend to work better when braced aagainst something else - eg. the kerb or a small wall. A friend of mine uses them when panning his camera whilst taking pictures at motor sports events - but then he uses a collar around the lens - and this is attached to the monopod.

My favourite, though is the trusty old beanbag - it's light and portable - and with a bit of imagination you can prop it most locations and get excellent shots at slower speeds.

Good luck!!

Rgds, Saras

Hi Lynn

I own a Monopod too. It's a fine thing, but I use it with the nikon or the hasselblad only. With the G2 i work without monopds or tripods. I often take pictures under available light conditions. I find always somthing to hold the camera fixed. The idea with the cushion is very good. I'am going to buy one. If i not use it to take pictures, it helps to hold a little siesta.

Regards

Hans Villars, Switzerland

Back