DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Does anyone use the Zeiss Sonnar T 85/2.8 lens?

Hi Folks,

I bought my 85mm f2.8 lens (German) in 1982 and still use it today. It was serviced once to relub the focusing helical. I also used the Zeiss 85mm f1.4 (German) for a short time but sold it because it wasn't as sharp (at most apertures) as the f2.8. Some of you may find this surprising, but my work had to super sharp and I dumped any lens that didn't meet my standards.

I was working as a magazine/news photojournalist in the 80s and using lots of Kodachrome 25, 64, Fujichrome 50, Kodak technical pan and B&W Trix-X. Today I am an art director and still use my Contax system.

Another special quality about the 85mm f2.8 is the highlight detail. None of my other Zeiss lenses reproduce delicate flesh tone highlights like this lens. My colleagues noticed it too. Many of them were shooting with the Nikkor 85mm f2 or 85mm f1.4. My Zeiss 85mm was envied.

My 85mm is almost worn out and I'll replace soon with another one. I studed the MTF curves years ago to understand its special qualities with highlights, but couldn't make a conclusion. I suppose some things just can't be measured.

I hope this information helps... long live Zeiss!

-Tom

How many versions are there of this lens? I remember about 10 years ago seeing a Japanese AE version. I was told (although I never saw it) that a West-German AE also exists. When I bought my first Contax 159MM in 1988, one of the few MM-version lenses available was the Japanese version of the 85/2.8. Last year, I was told the lens was discontinued. However I found one on eBay, a brand-new MM version made in Germany (NOT "West Germany", just "Germany"), it has serial number 8433932, so I assume it is fairly recent, my other, older German-lenses bought in the late 80's having serials beggining with "6". I bought it immediately btw, although I already had the Japanese version...

Can anyone tell why this lens, and this lens alone is made in Germany, while the vast majority of currently produced Contax Zeiss lenses are made in Japan? (I believe only the 15/2.8, the 35/2.8-PC and the 300/2.8 are still made in Germany, maybe someone can correct me on this) I am very curious and puzzled about this.

Happy new year to all

GC

> Check the Zeiss website. There's an article explaining that Zeiss will produce lenses where economically feasible. Now, it has apparently become more feasible to produce some lenses in Germany.

it cheaper producing such amount of lenses under the roof of yashica/kyocera.

Dear Guillaume,
I also recently bought (used)the "Germany" version - serial no. 8433850 so we must be closely related! A great lens!!

Hi Guillaume,

under the topic >Small Tele Lens 2,8/85 or 3,5/100< I described 4 different types of this lens, as far as I know.
>made in West Germany< is always AE type with barrel kompletely in metal and engraved figures. It´s the origin lens.
>made in Germany< is the last Type, I know of and always MM with barrel partly from modern plastic and printed figures on aperture and dof scales. A batch was produced with introduction of >Aria<. But I don´t know the number produced and if it was the only batch until now, what wouldn´t be uncommon.

I used 3 of the 4 types and all gave me equal, great results.
At the end I kept the >made in West Germany< AE type, because I prefer the metal barrel and the same outlook like with my other lenses. Unfortunately this version is hard to find on the used market.

While Contax recommends the metal hood 5, I use the hood 4. It works fine, looks better and is more portable, than the very long hood 5.

regards, Stefan Irmler

I have the 85mm/2.8 sonnar lens. I don't use a hood right now, sometimes a skylight or polarizer.

Anyone looking for a mid-tele or something to add to their normal lens (you DO have a 35, 45, or 50mm normal lens, right?) setup should give this serious consideration. It is a bloody excellent piece of glass.

Some people like the 85mm/1.4 for portraits and low light specialty stuff, but it is noticeable heavier .. the sonnar 85mm is very portable, especially on an Aria. Can't say the same for the Planar 1.4... Some beginners think that the larger the maximum aperture the better the lens will look, and that's just not always the case. If the f2.8 is bright enough for your work, it is one of the better lenses I've ever used.

Of course, lots of people take heart-stopping photographs with lenses 1/3 the cost of this, so keep that in mind
happy.gif

I agree with Sean. I bought this lens many years ago used (It was a store demo) It is an excellent lens and very good for portraits. I use it now on my Aria and it makes for a neat package. It is as small as my CZ 50 1.4 and I think perhaps a tad lighter. I also agree that "lots of people take heart-stopping photographs with lenses 1/3 the cost.." This is so true. It is always the eye of the photographer that makes the beautiful photograph, the camera and lens is just an extension and a tool, albeit a very fine tool. Contax/Zeiss/Kyocera makes the artests work a little easier.

Back