DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Upgrade 5017 to 5014 worth or not

G

I have a Contax 50/1.7 with Yashica FX-3, it's my first Contax/CZ optics, I love it, especially in low light environment, so I would like to upgrade 50/1.7 to 50/1.4, worth or not???

Depends on what you want to do. I think I'd spend the money for an 85mm or some other lens. However, if you want to shoot low light photos, the f/1.4 is a knockout lens.

it's nonsensical! the quality is exactly the same !!! i've done night expose picture with 50 1.7 and the result is very good, furthermore you'll need a good depth of field (higher than 1.4 or 1.7) for sharpness. Use more sensitve fllm or slower speed !
400 iso + 1/30s let you take good picture (may be use tripod)
it depend on what kind of picture you'll do.

good luck

Franck

Agree with Franck, I took these Night shot with Max 1.7, handheld
without tripod and other support, with ISO 100 daylight film, still taking razor sharp picture, so I'm wonder if upgrade with getting better, but some user found 50/1.4 at 1.4 with vignetting at 4 corner, so I better keep the 50/1.7 and reserve for other optics.

22104.jpg

22105.jpg

Back