DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax T3

G

I currently use the Contax G1 and G2 cameras and lenses, and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Contax T3 as a carry anytime anywhere camera and the quality of the images produced. Do the images from the G3 match those produced by the G system?

A comment on Ebay by sellers on a number of the T3s being auctioned I couldn't quite understand:

"It also exits the excellent brightness, color reproduction, varied gradations, and attractive soft focus that are the hallmarks of Carl Zeiss lenses."

What is this "attractive soft focus". Fine for a large format portrait lens, but "soft focus"?

>As a T3 owner who uses it daily, I must say I have no idea what the eBay >text refers to when it says "attractive soft focus." My black T3's focus >is razor sharp. However, the other stuff about how good the color, >contrast, and quality are, I'd heartily agree. The T3 produces pictures >of a quality to rival that of the best SLRs. My guess is that the Ebay >auctioneer didn't know what he was talking about and just used phrases >he'd read elsewhere.

James C. MIller

James C. Miller wrote:
"As a T3 owner who uses it daily, I must say I have no idea what the eBay text refers to when it says "attractive soft focus."

I believe the "attractive soft focus" here means the out-of-focus characteristic sometimes referred to as "bokeh". Many have said that Zeiss and Leica optics have softer, more pleasing bokeh.

By David Wamback:
"I currently use the Contax G1 and G2 cameras and lenses, and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Contax T3 as a carry anytime anywhere camera and the quality of the images produced. Do the images from the G3 match those produced by the G system?"

Many, including myself, using both the G1/G2 system and the T3 have said that the T3's Sonnar is better than the G 35mm lens, but still a notch below the G 45mm. The quality is very close.

Niki

> In my experience the "bokeh" of the Sonnar 2.8/35 on the T3 gives almost the effect of a watercolour painting - a soft and rounded background to the sharp focus of the main subject.

Does anyone know if the lens in the Olympus Infinity Stylus Epic is the SAME lens (35mm F2.8) as the lens in the T3 or is the Olympus lens simply made by Zeiss?

"Does anyone know if the lens in the Olympus Infinity Stylus Epic is the SAME lens (35mm F2.8) as the lens in the T3 or is the Olympus lens simply made by Zeiss?"

The 35mm/F2.8 lens of the Olympus Stylus Epic is very good, but I've never seen any info implicating it to be a Zeiss lens or designed/made by Zeiss. Olympus website says it's an Olympus Lens.

For under $100, it's quite a deal.

I like the tone Niki used. So gentle and polite! If I wrote the answer, I might say how can you expect a Zeiss Lens in a $100 camera. In fact, I have a T3 but I am also going to buy a Olympus Stylus MjuII for my neice as I have seen quite a lot good photos on the net using this camera. But it seems that there are also a lot of bad comments on the durability of this camera.

Back