DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Tokina

G

I was just checking out Adorama's website and found that they sell a number of really inexpensive Tokina lenses with Yashica/Contax mounts. Does anyone have any experience with these lenses and if so are they any good?

Thanks,

Chris

Many Tokina lenses are quite good or even very good optically. The older RMC Series is also very well build with (metall bodies). I´ve made good experiences with RMC 3.5/17mm and 8/500mm mirror (yes, it was the winner of the duell with T-Tessar 4/300 + Mutar III !).
Be careful with lower priced SZ series, they are not very well mechanically. The wide spread SZ 3.5-4.5/28-70mm fell apart at a backpack tour and I could see that the front lense ring is only fixed with a tape (!) and the rubber ring to the rest of the body.
I´ve used some 10 different Tokina lenses during last 20 years and after having had my first CZ lens I sold step by step all Tokinas except 17mm and 500mm.

Dieter

I bought a Tokina RMC 80-200 f4.5 in Contax mount that was absolutely mint, thinking I might use it as a compact travel lens. It is well made and everything works smoothly. But optically, it is among the WORST zoom lenses I have seen. I can take slides at identical settings with the Tokina and one of my Tamron Adaptall zooms, put them on the light box, and without even using a loupe, the flare and lack of sharpness of the Tokina slide simply jumps out at me. It simply lacks resolving power and will flare wildly unless the sun is directly behind me. Worst $100 I ever spent.

>>Be careful with lower priced SZ series, they are not very well mechanically.<<

I have a SZ-X 28-70 2.8-4.3 and it's the lens I use most often when traveling. This lens has been praised in other forums as a VERY capable optic. Mechanically, the only concern is a polycarbonate front focusing ring. The remainder of the structural components are metal. Mine has performed without issue for 10+ years.

Like all lens brands, there are some quality variations, not only from model to model, but from lens to lens. I think it fair to say that all things considered, Tokina is one of the better third party brands.

Dave

(I also have the RMC 17mm 3.5 and it's a good lens for the price. Above average but no better really.)

Back