DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Zeiss Distagon 18 - should I buy

G

Hi Folks,

I have read numerous reviews that claims that this lenses is not up to the standards of other CZ lenses. Much in the same way that the 2.8 25mm Distagon doesn't get highly rated, yet people that use it seem very happy with it. Is this the case with 18/4.0? Any user want to comment on their own experience with the lense?

Thanks for any information.

Mark -%)

>Hello, Mark, I own this lens since short time - my tests indicate excellent performance until now (resolution and contrast)! Not any softness in the corners full open! esp. there ist nearly now vignetting at full aperture! German testers approve highest ratings (best lens ever tested in this focal length! Highly recommendable! Herbert

Hi Mark
I've owned two of the 18/4. I sold the first one in a period of no-photo-interest. Lately I got my photographic interest back and had to buy the lens again. I think it's a great lens and often use it as my standard lens. Color-balance and contrast are a lot like the other Zeiss that I own. I have a lot of pictures published, taken with the lens on http://www.atomb.dk/foto , you can use the search function to find the 18/4 pictures.

Hi Mark,

if you can afford the D18 buy it.
There are some third party lenses in the 17mm range, Tokina and Tamron. Tokina is the better of both. I use Tokina SL 17 and had the chance to test a D18 and compare both lenses. D18 is better build with less mechanical tolerances and is more solid. Optically the difference is not so big, D18 is somewhat sharper and has slightly better colours and less distortion in corners. The only reason I kept the Tokina is that I use super wides not very often and because the Tokina lens takes 67mm filter while D18 has no filter thread and I paid 125 Euros for the Tokina while D18 is not available under 500.

Dieter

Hi Folks,

I have had my SL17 for many years. Color reproduction is very bad indeed. The distortion is so serious to an unacceptable level. Vignetting is very obvious. When I use this lens, I alwasys stop down 1/2 to 1 stop to get the correct exposure in the middle. I am quite sure that D18 will be much better than the SL17 though I never tried a D18.

I bought it because it was cheap relatively. I do not have this range in my lenses. When the lens is being used few times a year, this is okay. But I still want to have either D18 or D21 because I am a CZ fans.

Francis.

Hi Francis!

The D18 is a real must for a CZ fan, I can recommend this lens indeed: it is a dream: some years ago I shot a greek cathedral inside, mirror up (RTSII), at f8 with Velvia - I could not believe: extreme sharp, wonderful contrast (bright windows, dark inside) and hardly any distortion. BTW it ist small and compact but does not accept filters without a special adaptor. At full aperture You might see some little vignetting in critical pictures - snow, sky, but not in average situations. There is no problem shooting agaist sun, hardly any "doubles". You will really love this lens.

Regards
Wolfgang

Hi Wolfgang,

Your words make me want to buy D18 now. I heard from other forum and reviews. The D21 is an extreme good lens. Someone would say that D21 is an best lens in this range all over other brands.

However, it is relately expansive. So I hesitate to decide to buy D21. I also struggle to decide to buy either D18 and D21.

Francis.

i dont think zeiss has changed the quality of this lens from the starting in the seventies until now. it has significant vignetting until you stop down to 8! its impossible getting a wideangle of such power to get without vignetting. just shoot against sky.

buy d21 if you can afford. its better if you need top-quality. its a much newer construction.

Back