DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Zeiss Distagon 18 - should I buy

Francis,

The D21 was my first Contax lens, and the reason I started a Contax system. I believe this is the best ultra-wide in the history of the world. Unlike most C/Y lenses, it is a modern design and uses low-dispersion glass. The result is an image with no chromatic aberration, even in the corner. CZ sister lenses with this technology cost $6500 (200/2 Aposonnar) and $13000 (300/2.8 Tele-Apotessar). At $1500, I consider the D21 the best CZ value around town and no-one, except Leica, can touch its performance.

Because it looks like a telephoto, people don't realize I took their picture. Good for street work!

Here is a s&le scan for technical evaluation. Warning! It's a huge 23 MB JPEG, 5800x3900...

http://patternassociates.com/rico/contax/misc/d21s&le.jpg

The image was scanned on a Canon FS4000, with no digital dust removal, sharpening, or smoothing. The scanner delivers single-pixel detail (inspect scratches on the film), while the image detail reaches about 2 pixels. I need another test using fine-grain film and a tripod.

Michael,

as I was the original poster of this thread, I would ask you to show some respect! I looked through the archives on C/Y Lenses and did not find any topic that addressed the merit of the 18/4 lense.

So your statement of "must this discussion be repeated every second month" is inappropriate. If you do not want to read about this topic then just delete the message.

Cheers,

Mark -%)

Hi Rico, Michael and Wolfgang,

Thanks all your advice. Having read Rico's s&le picture, D21 is unexpected sharp.

I need to think deeply to see If I really need a D18 or D21. I cannot resist the charming of D21 but I need to justify whether I can afford, and whether I will use the ultra wide angle frequently.

Anyway, I have already got clues on those lens.

Francis.

I tried them both and the 18mm doesn't even come close to the 21mm. Check out the MTF charts. The 21mm is a marvel, with its only knock being the huge 82mm filter size. Rico is probably correct in saying it's the best ultr-wide lens there is.

Do you think that it's better than the G system 21mm which I expect is cheaper if you already have a G body -or even if you have to buy one?! I don't own a 21mm but it is on my wish list for my G2.
John

The G system's Biogon 21 is an amazingly good lens--many, myself included, think it's the best of all the G lenses. Note that Hasselblad thinks enough of the Biogon to build a camera around one.

I read a technical article once which explained that the Biogon design is inherently subject to light falloff towards the edges. This may be so, but I've not found it to be a problem with my images. (The 16mm Hologon, by comparison, comes with a graduated ND filter to compensate for its falloff characteristics.) Biogon pluses include no noticeable rectilinear distortion, excellent contrast and sharpness even wide open, very compact design (nearly a third of the Distagon's weight). The auxiliary viewfinder is very bright and generally a pleasure to use.

For me, learning to use a super wide angle lens on a rangefinder was a challenge. I miss an SLR's accurate framing and DOF preview. I certainly don't miss the weight.

--Rick

I recently purchased an 18mm Contax lenses on Ebay at a good price but paying for a good quality polarizer will be another big investment. Any recommendations? Since I may eventually get an autofocus camera I am leaning toward a circular polarizer for the 18mm and RTSII so that it is useful for the future or has possibly better re-sale value. I understand that vignetting is a challenge with this lenses. If I do not pay for a slim line polarizer how serious is the vignetting likely to be? Will problem only be at wide open, if I stop down a stop or more is it likely that I can get away with a non-slimline design? Since the most likely photo uses will be when I want alot of depth of field I expect that typically I'd be shooting at F8 or so when the polarizer is in use. Aside from Heliopan that makes a slim line 86mm are there others? I do not have the 18mm in my hands yet but understand that it uses a 70/86 step ring and requires an 86mm filter. The 70/86 seems like a very strange size but that is what the specs says. Are there any other options like stepping up to something smaller? Paying about $200 USA for a filter is a big investment. Thanks for your experience/advice. -- Edward

I purchased the 70/86 step ring used, mint $30.00 and a 86mm BH polarizer used, mint $105.00 (BH photo NYC) Work great with the 18mm lens . Tried it out with Agfa's new Ultra 100 film during a late fall photo trip. "What colors"!

I would like to protect the frontlens of the distagon 18/4 with an UV filter.

Is it possible to use a screw on heliopan slim UV filter (72mm) without vignetting? Or should I buy the 72-86 ring with 86mm UV filter? (such a big filter is not very handy in the outdoors.<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">• for your advice,

Melvin
www.planet.nl/~melvinredeker

Posted by Melvin on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 9:56 pm:

I would like to protect the frontlens of the distagon 18/4 with an UV
filter.

Is it possible to use a screw on heliopan slim UV filter (72mm)
without vignetting? Or should I buy the 72-86 ring with 86mm UV
filter? (such a big filter is not very handy in the outdoors. for your
advice,

Melvin

Melvin,
you have to use a clip-on filter diameter 70mm or
70-86 ring and 86mm UV Filter.
Eugenio.

Back