DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Telephoto lenses for wildlife Zeiss vs nonMFG

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your kind comments, you're very welcome to use the photo as wallpaper.

I haven't yet visited the Screech Owl Sanctuary, but I intend to as it's only about 20 miles up the road.
The owl shots on my site were taken at Bird Paradise in Hayle, an excellent organisation which has helped preserve endangered parrots (I think the St.Lucia's parrot), and also reintroduced the Cornish Chough to areas around The Lizard in Cornwall, where they are now breeding every year.

Unfortunately, although I have owls in my garden every night, my photographic skills haven't extended to being able to catch them in their natural environment yet (I'm just no good with flash).

Cheers,
Matt

All -

Thanks for the valuable input. I've bitten the bullet but managed to find a decent deal on a CZ 300MM f4.0... looking forward to trying it out.

Slightly off topic, but somewhat related: I've got a Mutar II that seems to be kind of off in showing the correct aperture in the viewfinder (i.e. it will show f2.4 when it should show f2.8). I generally use an incident meter and ignore what it tells me, but is this affecting TTL readings for spot-reading purposes?

Does what I'm saying even make any sense?

Cheers,

Erik

PS - Matt, great photos btw!

> Make sure the Mutar is locked in position tightly If it is loose, it will affect the reading. If the mutar or lense stays slightly loose even with best effort, it is a problem best to just live with. in AE mode, the light meter responds to the amount of light hitting the film and the film speed indicator, or at least it does so in the models I own For manual mode, a few test shots will tell the tale Dave

i have the 135mm and the mutar II - results are excellent... IMHO.

here is a pic using my aria the 135 and mutar II
happy.gif

419279.jpg

Hi all -

Thanks for the feedback received on this subject (quite a long time ago now...). I wound up getting a CZ 300mm f/4 and am pretty happy with the results. This plus a Mutar II and beanbag was a great combination. I wound up using my RTS II more than the Aria as it balanced better and had a brighter screen which really made a difference with the teleconverter.

Now I just need to get a decent scanner...

432703.jpg

On the subject of RTS IIs - would anyone know decent service/repair places for this model?

Regards,

Erik

Hi Erik,

The only place I know that does a really good job is Sendean Cameras in London. They've fixed 2 RTS3's for me, a CGCM and are about to fix 2 RTS's and an RTS2. They also repaired a 300 f4 which had 3 tiny cracks in the glass behind the front element and will be about to repair a 28 f2 that I sold to a member of this group which got damaged in the post. I don't know how impractical London is for you but they can work Contax/Zeiss miracles! They have a web site - just Google to get the url. Cheers.

Back