DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Seeking user experience with Zeiss 4080mm VarioSonnar

G

I'm interested in purchasing a used Zeiss 40-80mm Vario-Sonnar to replace my worn 50mm f1.4. I prefer this narrow range because I have a collection of Zeiss fixed-focal length lenses.

I would like to hear from any users of this lens to discuss its strengths/weakness (if any).

Thank you!

> I'm interested in purchasing a used Zeiss 40-80mm Vario-Sonnar to> replace my worn 50mm f1.4. I prefer this narrow range because I have a> collection of Zeiss fixed-focal length lenses.> I would like to hear from any users of this lens to discuss its> strengths/weakness (if any).

I personally dont have one , but it comes a fairly distant second to any of the more recent CZ zooms in terms of performance.......

> I used to have one, have since got rid of it. It has a nice build quality that you don't always find on the newer lenses, and is contrasty and sharp. However, apart from that I now recognise it underperforms compared to 28-85 expecially. There's a lot of pin-cushion distortion and also vignetting at some focal lengths, that can spoil the pictures. >

Back