DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Cosina Lenses

G

Hello Folks,
Have any of you experimented with this new(?) range of C/Y Cosina lenses. (Cosina have restarted the rangefinder business with the Voightlander range and these lenses are not bad at all.) I see them in the shops and on ebay. I was particulary attracted by the 20mm & 19-35mm, and macro lenses. As lenses that may not be used very often, what do people think, if anything? We already know that they will not be a Zeiss, so please no 'save up and get the real thing/there are no other lenses but Zeiss' comments (we all know that already!);-)

Best Wishes for CHRISTmas and God Bless you all.

Paul

Dear Paul, I just read your post and while I have no experience with these particular lenses, there is one thing that you wrote that piqued my interest. That is when you use the phrase "...range of C\Y Cosina lenses." I knew that Cosina was issuing lenses to fit rangefinders, but I was not aware that they actually made lenses for the C\Y mount cameras such as the RX, Aria etc. Thanks, Vincent.

> [Must be a mistake. Those rabbit ears indicate a Nikon AIS type lens... Cosina has released some lenses for C/Y mount. You can check Cameraquest.com and look for the "for sale" page at the bottom for them.] >

Hi Gary,
Yes the picture must be a mistake as I saw that it was a Nikon fitting as well. I assume they also have them in C/Y fittings as well as other focal lengths.
Regards.
Paul

> [Paul, I am also interested to see what performance the Cosina lenses can give. I'm particularly interested in focal lengths not in the CZ line. I wonder if anyone has seen one of these lenses other than Stephan of Cameraquest or in Japan?] >

(Quoting Dieter
happy.gif
"Some lenses (e.g.19-35) seem to be > identical with lenses sold under the brand "Vivitar". (end quote)

That isn't surprising since it might very likely be the same lens.

See this quote: (begin quote) Samyang/Phoenix - A Rising Star From Korea Korea has invested a lot of money and talent in challenging Japan's optical industry, and Samyang is one of their key players in 35mm optics. Their lenses are imported into the U.S. under the Vivitar, Cosina and Phoenix brand names, as well as a variety of other importer house brands. (end quote)

Quote attributed to Robert Monaghan Found on this page, under header Samyang/Phoenix http://medfmt.8k.com/third/cult.html

Lynn

Hi Paul !
I've tested the Cosina 19-35 on my Pentax MZ5 (which I use in addition to my Contax).
The lens is not THAT BAD but you cannot expect from such a cheap lens!
Lens wide open is quite bad, if stopped down to F8-11 it may fit most expectations.
A problem with flare has to be noticed.
Nevertheless : I already sold it and bought me a cheap fixed-focal ultra-wide lens which is much better.
Paul (too)

Back